Socket Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Electrical sockets over my kitchen worktops are about 18" above I want to lower them, is there a minimum level. :?:

Sponsored Links
greymare said:
Electrical sockets over my kitchen worktops are about 18" above I want to lower them, is there a minimum level. :?:

dont think there is a minimum level.

are you aware of part p?

The advised minimum height above the work surface is 150mm.
(to allow for the flex of an appliance)
And sockets should be at a minimum of 300mm if either side of a sink.

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
mingmong said:
And sockets should be at a minimum of 300mm if either side of a sink.
Too close, IMO.

1200mm sounds much better to me....

The problem with that BAS is that most kitchens in modern premises are no more than shoe boxes and you'll be lucky to be able to have any socket more than 1200mm from a sink in any direction.

I'm in the process of re-doing my kitchen too, all leagally within part P/Local council notification etc. Can anyone clarify the minimum distance from a sink to a socket. I know that a bathroom is 1200mm to a socket and 600mm to a light switch from the shower/bath. Surely this can't be for a kitchen too. I'll only be able to get 1 socket in then.

With regards to socket height- minimum 450mm from floor level and up to 1200mm (suggests 150mm minimum from kitchen surface) So how do you wire your cooker extraction fan then?

crichtons said:
I'm in the process of re-doing my kitchen too, all leagally within part P/Local council notification etc. Can anyone clarify the minimum distance from a sink to a socket. I know that a bathroom is 1200mm to a socket and 600mm to a light switch from the shower/bath. Surely this can't be for a kitchen too. I'll only be able to get 1 socket in then.

according to the IEE regs (which aren't actually statutory but you'll probablly have a much easier time with if you follow them ;) ) you anr'e allowed sockets in a bathroom at all.

as for kitchens there are no specific rules about distance but there is the catch all that equipment must be suitable for its location. most spakrs seem to go for a minimum of about 300mm. more is better but can often be impractical in modern kitchens.

plugwash said:
as for kitchens there are no specific rules about distance but there is the catch all that equipment must be suitable for its location. most spakrs seem to go for a minimum of about 300mm. more is better but can often be impractical in modern kitchens.
And as for the 1200mm-from-a-sink thing, impractical in my old (1937) kitchen too! One side of the sink is 1000mm from one wall, the other 700mm from that one (small kitchen, big sink). The only places that are more than 1200mm from the sink are on the opposite wall or behind the door! Neither is sensible as a way to power the dishwasher...

Cheers,

Howard

whilst a socket behind an appliance may be closer than 1200mm from the sink in a straight line its not exactly at much risk of being splashed or used for anything else. you do have to put the switch somewhere though...

sockets should be at a minimum of 300mm if either side of a sink

This is the Minimum requirement! further away is preferable :rolleyes:

mingmong said:
sockets should be at a minimum of 300mm if either side of a sink

This is the Minimum requirement! further away is preferable :rolleyes:
Do you mean height-above-surface, or straight-line distance?

Cheers,

Howard

The advised minimum height above the work surface is 150mm.
(to allow for the flex of an appliance)

And sockets should be at a minimum of 300mm if either side of a sink(Horizontally)

So you're saying (in fact you've said it twice) that the advised minimum height above the work surface is 150mm, or 300mm if either side of a sink.

Where did you get that advice?

ban-all-sheds said:
So you're saying (in fact you've said it twice) that the advised minimum height above the work surface is 150mm, or 300mm if either side of a sink.

Where did you get that advice?

It appeared that Howard needed clarification!! so I posted it twice.

The information was taken from the IEE Publication Electricians Guide To the Building Regs Part p page 57.
Wr500.jpg
[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back