Socket mysteriously stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I was hoping that you could help me with a problem that has me stumped.

I woke up this morning to find the fridge and freezer not working. Thought the electric may have tripped over night but nothing had tripped on the MCB and all the other electricals were working fine.

I tried the fridge and freezer in a neighbouring socket and both work fine. The socket they were in seems to have decided to stop working during the night.

The socket is a standard double wall socket, with the switch's on the plate, there doesn't seem to be a separate fused switch. No scorching or damage to the plate. I've removed the plate to check the wiring which seems fine and even replaced the plate with a new one which has had made no difference. The plate has a single live, neutral and earth wire running into it. All other sockets are working fine.

Any idea/suggestions what may be causing the issue?
Any help is really appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like something has popped out in the socket this is fed from, or there is a spur you haven't found.

With the power off, take the faceplates off some neighbouring sockets, see if there's anything loose/damaged

if there is a socket nearby that you plug heavy-load appliances into, such as a washer and drier, suspect that one first.

Hi all, thanks for the replies.

I'm currently at work and will check all the other socket connections later when i get home. I've made a quick layout of the room with all the sockets labelled.

At a guess the nearest socket with a heavy load appliance would be the dishwasher. Both the washing machine and tumble dryer are in the utility room and the tumble dryer one is never used. But i'll check it to make sure.

Sponsored Links
I would suggest checking the countertop double socket next to the fridge first (easiest to check) then maybe the dishwasher socket

Hello again,

Checked the dishwasher socket which looks fine, opened the countertop double socket to find 2 sets of wires coming in, so I'm guessing these maybe linked to the other double socket which isn't working. The connection look good and I've loosened and tightened them back up. This hasn't solved the problem, I'm wondering if its perhaps a fault in the wire somewhere between this socket and the other.

IMG_20151112_200845.jpg

I should also add I've tested the live with one of those electrical screwdrivers and the faulty socket doesn't have a live ffed it seems

Two cables doesn't necessarily indicate that it feeds that socket. Three cables would be a much more likely indicator, but it depends if you have a ring final circuit or a radial.

Check another couple of nearby sockets, and have a good look for a hidden fused spur (could even be behind the fridge tbf - it's been known to happen)

It's unlikely (but not impossible) to be a cable fault. Much more likely to be a fault at a termination

is there any possibility a nail or screw is in the wall on the cable route?

(if there is, don't touch it)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back