Sockets located in new kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a new kitchen fitted and the installer has screwed various sockets to the insides of the cabinets rather than to the wall claiming he has to do this because of part p regulations and the socket has to be accessible. The sockets in question don't have switches (I believe they are fused switched spurs) and they are on the end of a wire that comes out of the wall behind the units.

One socket is for the fridge, the other for the hob and oven.

Is the fitter correct or not?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
are the sockets for appliances?

if they are then they would have been accesible if they were behind them.

perhaps he didnt want to flush them in(time saver)so put them in the cupboard to get the appliances pushed back properly.does sound a bit noddy to me.not necessarily dangerous,just a bit noddy.how would you unplug the appliance and then remove it?

please tell me he hasnt screwed them to the flimsy back panel!

are you saying you have fused spurs controlling these sockets?

Part P is a section of the building regulations.

It does not dictate how he installation should be done.

I don't think it is especially anything to worry about, as you say they are fed from an FCU, which I ASSuME is accessible?

Yes, one socket is for the fridge freezer and has the FCU (Ny terminology isn't all that so I assume that's a switch with a fuse next to it which is on the wall above the work surface). I wanted that behind the fridge but the kitchen fitter just ignored my wished and stuck the single socket in the cupboard next to it.

The second is for the hob and single oven. Again the FCU is located above the work surface. In the previous kitchen the oven was elsewhere but we decided to locate it under the gas hob to create a better layout. As there was only the one power point available under the hob it was suggested by the designer to put a cooker control unit in its place and screw that to the wall behind the oven. The oven could then be hardwired and the hob plugged in. However the fitter wouldn't do that and put a double socket (with switches) in the cupboard next to the oven as he claimed the sockets need to be accessible incase a fuse goes.

My argument would be that if the oven was hard wired the fuse is located above the worksurface, and if anything goes wrong with the hob you've got to take the oven out to get to it anyway. Could he have done it the way I wanted and it still been "legal".

(He hasn't screwed them to the bit of hardboard at the back, but to the side. In the previous kitchen however they were just screwed to the hardboard.)

I'm not worried they are unsafe, I'm just annoyed he's cut some hefty holes in my brand new cupboards, and the sockets, plugs and loads take up space meaning I can't neatly stack my tins etc in them.

Sponsored Links
In part p it states that wiring accessories should be mounted on the building fabric and NOT on the kitchen furniture.

I was wrong sorry, but in the green ' electricians guide to the building regulations ' page 56 ' wiring accessories should be mounted on the building fabric and not on the kitchen furniture'. It does say actually 'General guidance' in which case is it ok to do?

in the green ' electricians guide to the building regulations ' page 56 ' wiring accessories should be mounted on the building fabric and not on the kitchen furniture'.

I quoted this book before and it was dissed
Can someone explain
It is an IEE book so why print it, if It is wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back