Sodexo Shocker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sodexo won the contract to supply services to the hospital I am in, including catering.

I have just learnt that if the staff want a snack box (sandwich, 100ml juice, ..cheese and 2 crackers but no butter and a yogurt) for a patient, in normal hours the cost is £23. Outside normal hours it is £75.

:eek:

The company claim this is to cover staff wages and electricity etc...

I realise everybody has to make a profit, but that is obscene.

The nurse says that their contract will not be renewed this year....

Sponsored Links
The £23 seems exorbitant, but how do they justify the £75? Triple time plus a tip?
As with so many things that are basically government services. Anything can seem acceptable when spending other people's money.

Those prices are extortionate. When I worked in the NHS, our hospital employed their own caterers. Why dish out contracts to organisations whose sole function is to make profits?

Fortunately, I have never been an inpatient, so I have no personal experience of hospital food. I have heard that in some places it can be very good; in others it can be crap.

Thankfully, if I were ever in hospital, I know my wife would bring food for me.

When you say 'want a snack box for a patient', is this something over and above the provided 3 meals per day??

Just curious

B

Sponsored Links
It makes one wonder how some companies manage to sell the equivalent to a snack box for around a fiver and still manage to make a profit after paying for overheads :confused:

When you say 'want a snack box for a patient', is this something over and above the provided 3 meals per day??

Just curious

B

No. Let's say you get admitted onto a ward but you have missed their mealtime. They will offer you (or you can ask for) a snack box.
Think I might have done the caterers down a bit. You get a piece of fruit in the box too.

Patients don't pay for food. Surely you realise that?

Irrelevant. Please read the OP's first post. Whether the 'snack' is paid for by the patient or the hospital, it remains a disgusting rip-off. And remember that, if the hospital pays, the people who actually pick up the tab are us, the taxpayers.

Atos Sodexo etc. ad nauseam one answer Vote UKIP ;)

The story came from nursing staff frustrated with the situation they were in.

They realised (of course) that they could do better but were bound by the terms of the company's contract until the end of the (presumably financial) year.

The café prices to the public are one thing, but these are charges to the NHS. Of course, they can rewrite the price list, can't they?

Try charging the public those prices and see how long they stay in business.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back