Sofa Construction Dispute; Any upholstery experts out there?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really a DIY question, but I am mid dispute with a sofa company over my new sofa - it's a local indepedent firm not a big chain.

We order the sofa having had lenghty conversation in the shop on the option for a 'coil sprung' system (£300 extra) as opposed to standard serpentine springs. We went for the standard. Anyway sofa arrives, looks wonderful, but is dreadfully uncomfortable, like sitting in a hammock too low to the floor.

Cut a long story short the sofa they delivered has a pirelli webbing seat base (no springs at all) which had not been tensioned properly - i.e. ****-poor quality control. Company has taken sofa away to correct the defect, but I am still getting a webbed, rather than sprung sofa, which was not my understanding. Company is telling me that webbing is 'superior' to serpentine springs, but the whole of the internet seems to disagree!

Am I being sold a line here? If it wasn't for the orignal manufacturing defect being so obvious I might never have noticed, so now I think they're trying to pull one over on me!

Any advice, esp on view that webbing is superior, as this one's still running

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Just to say I don't really know which is best, but they are both crepe IMO. Last suite had rubber webbing. OK for a bit and then broke. Replaced with properly tensioned black and white English webbing by yours truly. That suite was getting a bit long in the tooth TBH though. Present chairs which replaced suite about 4 years old and falling apart. Serpentine springs repaired several times. I'm a biggish chap though.
Next one will have "proper" coil springing. I'll be looking at the option of getting a proper old suite and getting it recovered too.

Consumer law.
Product has to be ''as described'' , from your description it is not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back