question about certass guarantee

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a question about Certass and a new window installation carried out at my bedroom.

I used a local company, also checked their work at two properties nearby and I have had no problem with their work. What I am a bit disappointed about is the paperwork...

Their office banner shows Fensa approved certification but they also have both Fensa and Certass logos on their website. I have not had any prior discussion about the certification with them. From what I gathered looking around the web/forum most people suggest the main difference between Fensa and Certass is the latter being a newer scheme. But I have also known that Fensa guarantees are usually a 10 year period.

When they came to fit the window they handed me a copy of the certificate and contract terms. I noticed the window was guaranteed for defects of workmanship for only 5 years...

Fensa stipulates a ten year period as a guarantee for glazing on their terms but Certass does not appear to have a guarantee term. I am finding the five year term for a window a bit uncomfortable considering that it is a long term asset for the property.

Is this considered a standard guarantee term nowadays?

What are people's views on this, am I missing some information?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Fensa and certass are not guarantees - they are not the insurers, they're self certification schemes. Ask to see the actual insurance cert and check the terms and conditions, not all policies are the same or cover everything for 10years, some do but some only cover the frame for 10years, the glass for 5 and metallic moving parts only 1year, workmanship might only be a year also.

Fensa and certass are not guarantees - they are not the insurers, they're self certification schemes.

Indeed and this what I meant by 'stipulate', I assumed they may set some standards to their accredited members...

Ask to see the actual insurance cert and check the terms and conditions, not all policies are the same or cover everything for 10years, some do but some only cover the frame for 10years, the glass for 5 and metallic moving parts only 1year, workmanship might only be a year also.

Good point, what I have been given is a Certass Energy Performance certificate with rating 0+ /A that also shows the company name and registration number of the fitter. I should have clarified the guarantee is in the T&Cs of the fitter:

"we undertake to repair or replace free of charge any double glazed unit installed under this contract which proves defective as a result of faulty materials or workmanship within 5 years from the date of this Contract. Guarantee does not cover wear on gold/brass or any metal coated furniture, glass breakage occurring after installation"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back