Soffit vent rattle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We've had a really annoying rattle above our bedroom window since we moved into our house. It hasn't been too bad over summer but with more wind, it's playing up.

The video isn't great but essentially the noise is coming from a soffit air vent and it's like a metallic rattle. Initially, I thought it may be some kind of tube into the loft that was rattling but upon reading more it may be a backdraft damper that's causing it? While the video has my Darth Vader breathing in the background you can hear a little of the noise (Skip to 35 seconds onwards). It sounds a bit like a metal letterbox opening and closing (hence my thought of a backdraft flap).

It also sounds a bit like our new bathroom fan when the winds blowing and you can hear the backdraft damper flapping, just metallic and not plastic.

That is just my suspicion but I would welcome more experienced input. I don't know where the dampers would be (and not overly mobile for a loft space). Would they be on the underside of the vent or more in the loft space? If I took the plastic vent off, should it be right on top of that?

It's more an annoyance than anything else but I have time at the moment to try and sort them.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back