Soffit Vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have just discovered that when the property was built no vents appear to have been put into the soffits. The loft has recently been boarded so I need to ensure there is adequate ventilation in that area. There are 2 roof vents installed but this isn't sufficient.

I am concerned however that the soffits could be made of asbestos. The soffits look and sound like they are made of wood and painted over but I'm not sure. The property was built between 1975-1980.

Introducing vents is a job I would be getting someone in to do, however if they are asbestos would the soffits just need to be replaced?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Are you sure there aren't over-fascia vents already fitted by a previous owner - they can be difficult to spot.

If you need to fit vents and are worried about soffit asbestos then that's the way I'd go. More attractive too. You'd probably need to chop 30mm off the top of your fascia boards to accommodate them, unless you're lucky and your bottom row of tiles seem happy with an extra kick up.

Just open up and wedge the laps in the felt. That will be more than enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back