Soft Close Butt Hinges ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does anyone know if you can get soft closing butt hinges? I have 2 doors that are a little too thin to take the large hole for the modern soft closing hinge, and wonderd if there is anything out there thats flush mounted to both the door and the frame. Ive looked everwhare on the Internet but with no luck. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I have 2 doors that are a little too thin to take the large hole for the modern soft closing hinge, and wonderd if there is anything out there thats flush mounted to both the door and the frame. Ive looked everwhare on the Internet but with no luck.
I'm not really surprised. The "modern soft closing hinges" you refer to with the "large hole" sound like concealed hinges for lay-on doors (i.e. kitchen or bedroom doors). They require a 35mm diameter hole approximately 11 to 12mm deep (varies) in a 15 to 24mm thick door. Because kitchen and bedroom makers don't make thinner doors (they'd just never survive) I very much doubt that anyone would make the type of hinges you are referring to - there'd just be no market. You might want to consider using a conventionl hinge with a soft closer insert drilled and inserted into the cabinet frame or mounted in a surface mounting, like these or possibly these swisher ones

You could add a strip of 18mm mdf on the inside of the doors to allow them to take the soft close hinge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back