Gap on the latch side of door, butt hinges

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Did a dry fitting of the door into the frame and it fit perfectly with 20cent coin (2p UK equivalent) gap the whole way around. I installed hinges on the door and was really happy with how flush i got the hinges into the door and frame. In spite of this the door is very tight/doesnt close on the latch side. Before I do anything Id like to run my thinking by an expert.

My thoughts are that the gap between hinge leaves when they are parallel is a little bigger than the gap sought around the door so when the leaves are flush with the door and frame the whole door is pushed slightly towards latch side. (hinge gap bigger that 20cent coin thickness)

My solution i think is to deepen the mortise slightly to pull the door over to the hinge side a fraction (basically the opposite of shimming)? Is this the correct first step for correcting? if so is it better to depend the mortice in the door or in the frame ( or split the difference if its more that a mm?)

Sponsored Links
The top, (or inner faces when closed), of butt hinges should usually be flush with the surfaces of door and frame. Sometimes if the door is under sized you can surface mount one side, or even both. In your case I would make the frame one flush first and see if this cures the problem, if not then make the door side flush also.

@conny sorry I may have explained incorrectly. I have installed them perfectly flush already. But the latch side of door is catching on the frame (gap too big on the hinge side compared to my spacing with the coin). Basically, when the hinge is in a closed position the hinge faces have a gap between them bigger than my desired gap.

So in this case would you deepen the mortice on door or frame or both?

I would deepen the frame side, especially if you are using a modern 'hollow' door where the internal framework is much thinner than the door frame.
If you take it too deep you can always pack out again with thin shims.

Sponsored Links
If it is only just catching put a leading edge chamfer or slight round over on the door

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks conny thats what my gut was telling me. good to get reassurance. It is indeed a hollow door.

@JobAndKnock what is the best way to put leading edge chamfer and what is the limit on adjustment you can make to the gap in this way?

Block plane or spokeshave.If theodor is only just catching a 1 to 2mm chamfer will often cure it. More than a couple of millimetres and it becomes a little too obvious

I have already said - use a block plane or s spoke shave

If you have a new frame, try tightening the fixing screws on latch side a bit.
That usually pulls that side of the frame in a couple of mm.
Otherwise as JobAndKnock suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back