Loft hatch door hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's one for you... ;)

I'm making a new loft hatch which will have a downward hinging door. The opening has been faced with timber and I want the door to be slightly recessed (i.e. above ceiling level) into this opening.
What I am trying to figure out is how do I hinge the door such that the hinges do not show (or at least only minimally), the hinge side gap is small and the door does not clash with the frame when opening?
The door is made from approx. 8mm plywood faced with thin T&G boards (for aesthetic reasons) so I guess it is too thin to fit a hinge on the end (rather than the face).

Anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
mmmmmmmmm was going to suggest these piano hinges
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...o+hinges&n=&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=10&y=9
but if its faced with t and g at 9mm the screws would fall in the point where the t and g meets the ply[you must have a minimum half the nuckle showing for any hinge to work]the hinges are 16mm wide nuckle to edge 7mm centre of nuckle and screwhole

i personaly given your description would actualy have a couple of dowels sticking out about six mm with holes in the opening to recieve them
this would allow you to completely remove the door as it would impinge on the opening and reduce clearence

I was wondering whether I could fix a batten to the inside face of the board adjacent to the hinge edge and then fix the hinges onto that end face. Would that work? Problem might be with the location of the join between board and batten in relation to the hinge fixings...?
Hmmm...

You could use a rod or bar fitted to the top of the trap door approx' 25mm from edge held with bar bracket and slotted to side joist.

Sponsored Links
Keefa said:
I was wondering whether I could fix a batten to the inside face of the board adjacent to the hinge edge and then fix the hinges onto that end face. Would that work? Problem might be with the location of the join between board and batten in relation to the hinge fixings...?
Hmmm...

the trouble is with a normal 3 inch hinge the screwholes are about 19mm in which would be between batton and ply
you could use a parliment hinge but you then reguire loads of clearence at the opposite edge
you could have the piano hinge on face edge of your trapdoor with the other half at right angles out of site although you dont want to see the brass coloured hinge with brass coloured screws ;)

just had a thought you could probably adapt a cranked hinge to fit screwfix no 15648 :?: :?:
and screwfix call parliment hinges"architectural hinges"no10828

Thanks big-all.
Those cranked hinges look promising, I might be able to modify them to suit. I'll let you know how I get on this weekend...

had another thought keefa you could use two mending plates [strait bracket 4ins 4 holes sf no16034] on the sides screwd about an inch from the end of the trapdoor and screwed to the sides secured imediatly aboveon the sides and if your opening is about 6inches ceilling to floor with no stop for it to rest against you will be able to hang the door underneath or pivot up and rest on top out the way

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back