'Soft torque' vs 'hard torque'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been looking at a couple of cordless drills, and they give different indications as to their torque...

One says 'Max torque 40Nm',

and the other 'Torque setting hard 42Nm & soft 22Nm'

What is the difference?

cheers

Sponsored Links
as you know torque is is turning power an nm is newton meters a measure of how much turning force is being applied so i am just assuming they are telling you the obviouse that "soft "22 is less agressive than 42nm torque

Obviously 22 is less 'aggressive', but does that refer to the torque in each of the 2 gears, or the difference between the lowest and highest torque setting?

Or could it be the 22 is the highest setting on the torque scale, and the 40 on the drill setting?

assuming theres no clutch or mechanism to restrict the maximum torque

then the gearing will have a direct connection to the avalable torque

now with a normal gear train you will get a direct connection between input speed and output speed so if you double the gearing you half the speed but double the torque

now i dont know the "EXACT" way an impact driver would work in relation to a 2 spead gear train so cant comment realy

Sponsored Links
Newton- metres, 1 newton at the end of a bar 1 metre long from the centre of the fastener.
To get an idea of the force, 10 newtons is equal to aproxx 1 kg.
If its a cordless drill rather than an impact driver( seems very low torque for an impact driver)I guess the torques are maximum in high and low gears.

As you may or not know, assume the motor is at a set speed...
high gear will give you say 4000rpm out or the gearbox shaft.... but beceause of the gearing, torque is 22nm...
Say you select lower gear, the output at the chuck is 2000rpm but then 42nm of torque.

OK, the gearing/torque explanation makes sense...

(Although I've found using the higher gear is usually better for driving in screws...) :confused:

I wish they'd all use the same way of describing the capability of the drills!

And you're right, they're not impact drivers.

I wouldn't want to use the higher gear on screws all the time. Wont be doing much good to your gearbox or motor or bats! too much strain on the drill. ALWAYS use the lowest gear when driving. I lent my drill to a mate, it was flicked to the highest 3rd gear setting and had the bit holder attached when i got it back, I can only assume he was using it to drive in screws using that gear! :cry:

To get an idea of the force, 10 newtons is equal to aproxx 1 kg.
If its a cordless drill rather than an impact driver( seems very low torque for an impact driver)I guess the torques are maximum in high and low gears.

yes you right for some reason my brain had read 2 speed impact and i was fasinated at the complications of 2 speed impact even though 100nm short of an impact rating :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back