Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to renew the skirting board in the bedrooms, what should I use

unfinshed softwood or primed MDF?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Go for the ready primed stuff, 1 undercoat then top coat is all you will need.
I found the ready primed stuff, rough. So I sanded it down, then primed again & painted. It depends on what finish you are after.

I recently used MDF in my conservatory.
But i made them myself as i need a specific height skirting.
I just ran them through my table saw to put a mitred angle on the top.
2 x acrylic primer undercoat, 2 x water-based satinwood top coat for me.

I was advised to sand the mdf first, then coat with 5:1 water/pva mix before painting. Lightly sanding after each coat.
Not sure if it was need, but the end product looks ok.

Thanks for the advise.

Do I need to paint the MDF skirting side that faces the wall before fixing into postion or will the priming be sufficient?

I will be sawing the 6" skirting internal mitres and 45's pre scribing with a hand saw, the skirting laid flat in a large mitre box, could anyone recommend a good hand saw for MDF?
type, size (needs to span a 7"mitre box),make, tpi etc.

Thanks

You only do pre scribe mitre cut when using chop saw if your doeing it all by hand ,just offer up an off cut of skirting and draw the scribe cut from that, do any extenal mitre's with the skirting vertical it's easier and neater.
A hand saw I would recomend ,would be a Spear and Jackson Predator 10TPI would produce clean 2nd fix work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back