Soil Pipe Alteration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm in the process of renovating my bathroom and in the process of removing the walls I've found that the soil pipe isn't where I'd like it to be. It drops down vertically from the floor above but dows a bend at the floor level in the bathroom:
Igivq5G.jpg

It then carries on vertically through the kitchen in the floor below and off to the great wide yonder.

What I'm wanting to do is have a toliet on the wall where the soil pipe is, pretty much bang in line with the soild pipe. At the moment this would put it on the bend, which as far as I can tell will be a no go.

What I'm planning doing is shifting the horizontal section from the floor of the bathroom into the roof of the kitchen in the room below and boxing it off:
5Bu6ctc.jpg

On the left of this picture you can see the boxed off section where the soil pipe currently runs down. My plan would be to drop it down (roughly where the bubble machine is on top of the unit) and then have the horizontal (with slight drop) run above the units before joining onto the stack as it did orignally.

This would make it easier to plumb in the toilet directly onto the stack (or on that side of the room). We're also planning on having a low profile shower and a freestanding bath which would have a floor mounted waste. By having the top of the units boxed off I can run the waste parallel with the joists and then to any work to get along to the stack happen in this boxed off area.

I'm also wanting to have the boxed off area 'easy access' so a board that can be removed so if there are any blockages I'll be able to get something into the wastes without dismantling the bathroom. Will also make running the water a hell of a lot easier as again I'd avoid having to mess about with joists.

Does this sound reasonable?

The only major issue I can see if that I would have to cut some of the studs to run the horizontal section of soil pipe. To compensate, I'd be looking at attaching the stud to the external wall with some fairly meaty fittings.

I've not yet started to rip into the kitchen yet as I'd like to get it done in one fell swoop.

Many thanks Lads!

Sponsored Links
And yes, those are 22mm hot and cold pipes running about 6" above the floor level. They were originally behind the bath panel. I'm wanting to run these under the floor too, again that wee bit of boxing in the kitchen would make this easier and avoid messing about with joists. (Can you tell I don't want to mess about with the joists much?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back