Soil Pipe Boss - limited space?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm installing a washing machine at home and want to plumb the waste into the soil pipe. The soil pipe is boxed in with limited space inside (10cm between pipe and box wall). I need to fit a 90 deg elbow as it won't be possible to boss straight into the pipe due to practically zero space behind plus the need to core through the wall.

All the boss fittings I have seen are either push fit or use a rubber boss adaptor. Are these ok to use in inaccessible area's? Can I just push a solvent weld pipe into this? (a push fit elbow + boss exceeds my 10cm limit). Any other idea's?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Use a stand pipe and do it the good old fashioned way leading to the drain outside, if you have no drain out there connect the waste hose to the sink trap. Failing that post a photo.

Maybe a diagram would be better. I'm fitting a dishwasher where the washing machine used to be (next to the sink). The washer will be moved across the kitchen where there is no external wall (any other wall is not an option due to the garage and next door property). The external door prevents me from running a pipe outside into the drain so I think my only option is to go into the soil pipe.

View media item 17306
(note: the kitchen is an extension to the original property so the wall between the kitchen and dining room is external)

Let me know if this makes sense. If not I'll post pictures as well.

Sponsored Links
Yeah I saw that. Looks like I need part BW8 but I don't know where I can buy that (or similar) from. Ideally I would like to assemble the parts I buy in the shop before buying so that I can be sure I'm within the 10cm limit.

Is it advisable to use solvent weld in inaccessible area's? If I use solvent weld does the whole system need to be solvent welded i.e. the standpipe as well?

The 'box' is skimmed plasterboard. I'd only just decorated as well :rolleyes:
I really would like to avoid making the box bigger. It would be a huge job (skirting boards, Karndean re-lay, coving, etc) just to fit a washing machine.

If you go to a B&Q you can play with the fittings there and I'm sure the resident plumber would be glad to help. Use push-fit for the stand pipe if you like but I'd recommend solvent weld in any inaccessable areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back