soil pipe capped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the soil pipe out side house is shorter than everyone else's in the street, it is just below the upstairs window and is capped off, the toilet does'nt flush that well, several flushes to remove waste, is this down to the soil pipe having poor air flow.

if so should I extent the pipe up abave the roof level, or should I fit one of them air admittence valves.
I would be greatful for some help.

Sponsored Links
An AAV at the end of that soil pipe will have the same effect as lengthening the existing soil pipe.

An AAV at the end of that soil pipe will have the same effect as lengthening the existing soil pipe.
You cannot fit an air admittance valve to an external stack & there must be at least one other open stack to allow positive ventilation of the foul drain system. Any soil stack within 3m of an opening in the building must also terminate at least 900mm above that opening to comply with Building Regs; extend the stack & fit a vented cap.

Sponsored Links
cheers for that lads. will exstend the soil pipe above the roof
Q why can't you fit an air admit valve outside though.

It would be wasted outside as they are only used inside to allow air in to assist drainage and to stop smells from the sewers coming into the house.

:LOL: that's the obvious answer but I think there may also a more scientific reason as both BR’s & the manufacturers design guides say no; but I’ve never taken the trouble to find out why :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back