Soil pipe problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of fitting a new toilet in my flat and I am not sure how to tackle the soil pipe. The original toilet was a nightmare that was cemented into the floor and took ages to remove and level the floor.
The white collar around the soil pipe is either cement or something stronger, as you can see from the picture some of the toilet pipe is still attached.
My question is how should I now proceed?
Should I take a cold chisel just to the toilet remains and get rid of as much of it as possible without damaging the white collar?
Presumably a can then get a fitting that just pushes into the white collar?
FBW

Sponsored Links
Chisel away remains of WC without dropping china down hole (try wedging a bag in to catch debris). Once smooth a standard McAlpine pan-con should fit in cement collar.

Thank you very much for your advice !
I will open a beer and get the chisel out :)
Regards,
FBW

Nock off the White/brown :mad: collar level to floor :idea: Watch the ceramic remains of WC pan :!: Like a razor ...those edges :eek:

Sponsored Links
You can also use Brick acid the type they use for cleaning, this should soften the cement and make it easier to break away. Be carefull it BURNS

Worst case scenario - After drinking a cold beer or two, you pour in the acid, only to find the waste is blocked so you put your hand in there to unblock it only to find that the sharp china edges rip your latex glove and cut deeply into your veins infecting your bloodstream with microbes living in residual faeces that were coated onto the inside of the china, while burning your skin with acid at the same time......

Hi
Sorry, I know this post is old but I have the same problem. A victorian house I am renovating has this pipe and collar fitting. The plumber has told me I will have to change my toilet as it won't work with this fitting.

Am I understanding the above posts properly? Basically stuff a bag or something into the hole to stop debris going down. Then get rid of all the visible pipe above the floor - take it down so that it is just a hole in the ground (level with the floor). Then fit an appropriate McAlpine pan convertor?

Many thanks
George73

Personnaly I would not take the pipe down so low so its just a hole in the floor, if there is any movement or leaks with the WC, you may not notice it before its too late.
Either chip away the mortar around the rim, or cut away female coupling rim, leaving part of the soil pipe above floor level and connect suitable pan connector

drn026.gif

Worst case scenario - After drinking a cold beer or two, you pour in the acid, only to find the waste is blocked so you put your hand in there to unblock it only to find that the sharp china edges rip your latex glove and cut deeply into your veins infecting your bloodstream with microbes living in residual faeces that were coated onto the inside of the china, while burning your skin with acid at the same time......

This may have been posted partly in jest but it is a real possibility...

8 years ago I acquired a blood infection (don't know where from) that led to an infection in my heart (endocarditis) that destroyed my mitral heart valve that caused my tricuspid valve to become damaged due to the strain that required replacement of my mitral valve and repair of my tricuspid valve...all the above requiring 9 weeks in hospital on intravenous antibiotics and open heart surgery follwed by about 18 months to recover and a lifetime on anticoagulant drugs (warfarin)!

Take heed of the point made about blood infections caused by soil systems, it's real!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back