Soil pipe problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello People....

I'm trying to figure out how to connect my new WC to the outside soil stack.

The current WC is on one wall of the corner bathroom, and I'm moving it t the other wall, and planning on running the wate pipe from the WC along the wall then through the wall to the soil stack. The new pipe will come out just to the side of the stack.

As most of the fittings / bends / elbows seem to be offset by a few inches, how can I connect the new waste to the stack..?

Sponsored Links
Jane36's idea will not comply with BR’s unless you provide access for clearing blockages; it won't look good either. Why can’t you connect straight into the stack or is your drawing misleading? Offsetting the upper part of the stack is not ideal but may an option but any offset in the wet portion of the stack cannot be closer than 750mm to any branch connection.

Thanks for your replies Jayne and Richard...

The drawing is fairly accurate, looking down from the top... the left edge of the WC waste will be roughly level with, or next to, the right edge of the stack.
Looking at all the connectors, they won't connect pipes that close, they all stand off a few inches.... and if that connects into a branch, that also stands off a couple of inches.

My only solution at the moment, and I'm still not sure it will work, is to try and twist the branch 45 degrees, and then use a 45 degree bend....? but that could mean chopping out more brickwork....

Sponsored Links
Looking at all the connectors, they won't connect pipes that close, they all stand off a few inches.... and if that connects into a branch, that also stands off a couple of inches.
Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t really understand what you mean? If you tee off the stack, a straight piece of soil pipe will slot straight into that & you can take care of any misalignment at the other end with the pan coupler. You other solution will also work.

The main problem is that the wall behind the new WC comes half way through the stack... if I tee'd off it directly through the wall half the waste pipe would be chased into the wall...

... so it will have to go through the wall at an angle and then, as you say, be adjusted with a couple of obtuse bends before reaching the pan connecter ??

The main problem is that the wall behind the new WC comes half way through the stack
Now I get it ;)
so it will have to go through the wall at an angle and then, as you say, be adjusted with a couple of obtuse bends before reaching the pan connecter ??
Still don’t get why you say “fittings all stand off by a couple of inches” or why you need to use 2 obtuse bends? BR’s allow one 45 degree bend in a run, any more & you have to provide access from the other side. Although not ideal, I would personally consider offsetting the stack lower down or even at the bottom.

Even though Richard has been a bit mean to me saying my pipework will look funny
I wasn’t being mean, just stating a fact. It will look like a pigs ear stuck on the outside of the house & an oh so obvious DIY job.
although the inspection access he talks about could be arranged with a T and a blank,
For sure it can but it will then look even worse.

When I say "stand off a couple of inches", I mean they're not like copper fittings, where the 2 ends of pipe effectively touch... with soil pipe fittings like these:

joined together the socket on the branch sticks out 3 inches, and the radius of the elbow means that the pipe coming in at 90 degrees to the stack must be almost 4-5 inches away...??

& an oh so obvious DIY job.

well I am a DIYer... :cool:

Off-setting the stack 2 inches to the right is not really a posibility:
It would have to be offset back again before it goes through the hole in the concrete guttering...
And the offset would have to be directly under the branch as the stack runs up the side of our conservatory, with the branch 18-24 inches above the conservatory roof.... so the offset would contravene BR's

The pipe coming out the wall behind the stack (the old shower waste) is in the bottom corner of the bathroom... the new WC waste will be 2-3 inches to the right of that.... and much bigger... :D

LMAO @ Richard.....

Yes, I'm a DIYer, but I didn't do the existing pipework... Honest...!!

If anything I'm trying to improve on it....

Jayne, we have a sloping roof to an extension on that side of the house, and the waste would come out just about on the roof-line....already thought of that one.... :D

Hi Daryll

I wonder if they originally put the toilet where it is for a very good reason ;)

Hey I'm always up for a challenge.. :D

yes, offsetting it to the left would be an option... and probably the simplest, but as Richard said its going to look messy....

I'm going to have to decide whether to get the waste pipe coming out as far left as I can, so it lines up with the stack, or have the pipe as far right as the rest of the bathroom furniture will allow so I can get an elbow in there...and maybe have to offset the stack.

... and I'm supposed to have this done by next Tuesday, (5 days time), when the wife gets home from her holiday...!!
:eek:

I know that the nasty Richard man will have something to say about this,
FFS grow up will you; or brugger off to some chat room where I'm sure you'll feel much more at home :rolleyes: .

Together, I’m sure you’ll both find the perfect solution. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back