Soil pipe, what fall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting a toilet under the stairs.the run of soile pipe is 13mtrs.whats the correct fall per mtr( min/max) thanks

Sponsored Links
Jack01, good evening.

A 110mm foul drain taking the discharge of less than 1 l/s should be laid at a 1:40 (25mm per metre) fall. A foul drain taking the discharge from a minimum of one WC can be laid at 1:80 (12.5mm per metre).

And check out https://www.marleyplumbinganddrainage.com/media/1191/underground-brochure-july-2015.pdf

Gradients Foul water drainage systems are generally designed to run at a maximum of three quarters full bore. Pipe gradients should be established such that the velocity does not fall below 0.70 m/s to ensure adequate self-cleansing. A 110mm foul drain taking the discharge of less than 1 l/s should be laid at a 1:40 (25mm per metre) fall. A foul drain taking the discharge from a minimum of one WC can be laid at 1:80 (12.5mm per metre). Gullies incorporating in foul water or combined drainage systems must have a 50mm minimum water seal. The table below is taken from BS EN 752 and provides guidance on minimum gradients for different size drains

Ken

Thanks Ken.ive only got 1 wc and a hand basin on the run so 12.5mm should be fine even though it's a 13mtr run ?

Sponsored Links
What if I can't get that much drop over that distance.whats the least I could get away with per mtr

Well being useless @ maths I googled gradient calculation and came up with a drop of 162mm on your 13m pipe giving a 1:80 gradient. So that's one end 162mm lower than the other (y)

things to consider are:
1. 16m is not a Regs advised run.
2. any bends will act as extra length.
3. get a plumber on site for at least a paid heads-up. you dont want to go to a whole lot of trouble to find it wont work.

i've just noticed the correction to my 16m, thanks for setting me straight.
but for my money, it still wont fly for 13m at 1:80.
i've had a rough experience pushing the falls limits for a soil pipe.
nothing to stop the DIY'er OP having a go but no way would i take on a job with risky falls.

Is this a soil pipe run or underground run? You need to be looking at Part H of the Buildings Regs I think, before doing too much. Max run is 6m for a single WC, and on too shallow a fall you are simply asking for problems.

Its underground.i've had a good look and think I will be able to squeeze between 20/25mm a mtr.if the max is only 6mtrs is there anyway to get round it like maybe putting in a inspection chamber halfway so it will run 6mtrs to chamber then to man hole

25mm a metre is 1:40, the recommended fall. Chamber needs to be fitted at any change of direction in the drain, ensure all runs are accessible for rodding if required.

There is a straight run with only one bend were it will be attached to the toilet.i will have rodding access in the bend.also will have it vente internally does this sound ok.

If you can achieve a 1:40 fall, over a straight run, then you should be fine. (It is discharging into a manhole I will assume?) Provided the distance from crown of the trap in the WC pan to the invert of the drain doesn't exceed 1.3m then you can make a direct connection, you dont need to do anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back