Soil stack advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, wondering if anyone could give me some advise, i have a job replacing a bathroom suite, which in its self is not a problem, my main problem is replacing the toilet and cisten, its an old s bend toilet, with the waste going into the floor, a concrete floor so no easy way to move, now, my customer wants a closed-coupled toilet, which i've explained, would envolve me either, boarding out the wall, or digging out the floor and running a new pipe. the latter neither my self or the customer want, and the boarding out of the toilet wall, my customer does not want done as the room is small enough, with out me taking around 3 - 5 cm away.

My main question is to do with legalities of soil stacks, the property is a down stairs maisonette(converted house), right out side the bathroom wall where the garden is divided there is a soil stack from the upstairs maisonettes bathroom, which would make my life a lot easier to connect to. now obviously i can speak to the upstairs neighbour and ask if i can connect to it, im just not sure if theres any regs / laws im missing that says i can / cant. i know neither property own the freehold, if that makes any difference?

Basically is it possible to connect to a neighbours soilstack (with their permission) and screed over the old one in the floor?

or does anyone know if any close-coupled s bend toilets actually exists?

Or any other sugestions?

Thanks a lot in advance, and if theres any info needed please ask :)

Mark

Sponsored Links
A good plumbers merchant should be able to get you a S trap pan and then just fit a traditional pot cistern with a flush-pipe to it.
Keep it simple.

The problems you mention occur everytime we do a conversion to a close coupled pan/cistern.

I would think you will need permission from the owner plus the building regs department at the local council before attempting the other option.
It's a bad idea.
servotech,

I’m not sure about the legalities of connecting into the soil stack from the property above but I would imagine they both connect up to the same underground drain invert, in which case it may be shared ownership/responsibility; the property deeds might give some clue.

If you connected to the neighbour's pipe and a blockage occurred just below your new joint - then all the effluent from upstairs would back up into the flat of the guy you are working for.

Sponsored Links
Servotech: unfortunatley, the customer doesnt want a traditional pot cistern with a flush-pipe, thats whats causing me the griefe, im used to changing them over either with changing the pipe, or usally boxing in, or boarding out the wall. just this time i may have a third option?

Richard C: If i get a copy of the deeds and find out if its shared ownership, im assuming id be able to do it..

Joe-90: surley that can be a problem with most soilstacks anyhows? would put in an Access branch T, then pipe, then through the wall with an access Bend?

If you wont achieve the desired position of the new pan using a swan neck pan connector, it may be more aggro but could you find the drain outside before it comes into the property for the existing W.C.? Couple onto that and then bring the pipe up outside before going through the wall with an access bend to the new pan :?:

Cuts off old drain at the same time so you could then fill it in and seal it. Either way, if you propose to alter the existing arrangement i'd think you'd need to obtain written permission from the freeholder before doing anything.

Canton "S" Trap toilet

http://www.bathroomwarehouseuk.com/S-Trap-Toilet-Canton/prod_175.html[/QUOTE]

I've seen that type of WC on the continent.
Could be the answer but I suspect the existing position of the drain governs the position of the toilet. i.e. You still might have to timber out or worse still it brings the WC too close to the wall and it won't fit.

Memster 1986,
Customers do get these ideas from time to time and don't listen to what the tradesperson is saying.
Don't forget you are the Plumber not them!
Sometimes it's better to walk away than get involved in something that can easily backfire on you.
servotech,

Sometimes it's better to walk away than get involved in something that can easily backfire on you.

If a job can not be done with 100% workmanship, then it will only come back to bite you when you least expect it.

Andy

Lol thanks for the advice, atm the jobs been put on hold at any rate, due to the customer, (which tbh, im quite thankful for) the stupid thing is, i told them that it couldnt be done and what they would need then they show me a brochure with the suite they want in it 2 days later and its like *face palm* told you you cant have a loo like that unless.... ARGH!! customer back in around 2 weeks time, hopefully be able to sort something out then, i can get an S bend toilet and cistern for around £80 and as its in a different room, hopefully they wont care that it doesnt match the fancy suite they want, having this much fun with the loo, they havent even decided what shower / taps etc they want. sometimes you gotta hate recomend jobs!! :LOL:

I don't know if this is possible but you could dig down outside and locate the drain then divert onto the outside wall.
All you need then is chop out a new hole through the wall and pipe it up to the new WC.!!
No need to vent because of the upstairs soil stack/vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back