Soil stack leak

Yes it is 40mm

How would you clean the existing boss adapter up? Soap/ water and Toothbrush?

Or should I just replace the boss adapter with a new one. If so, do you simple pull the existing adapter out?

For the blanking plug, is this an ideal product?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine...55281954514&ds_rl=1249404&gclsrc=ds&gclsrc=ds

What you have in your link is wrongly worded, it is a blanking "CAP" for capping off a pipe, what you want is a blanking "PLUG",
this will push straight into the boss pipe, no need for any other pipe or fittings.

https://www.toolstation.com/solvent...kJWVH9CZqUpK5i3jg14aAmfIEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

40mm plug.JPG

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
"Sometimes" it is possible to cut the end off the pushfit boss and solvent weld a 2" coupler over it with a plug glued into other side of coupler.

You may find that those access plugs may be a little too small to fit into the push fit sockets tightly, especially if the seals are worn. No reason not to try though.
With my luck, the access plug will probably wind up being small

Got the part, will see how I get on

Is it a good idea to smodge a bit of silicone on the access plug?

If it's too loose then no, I wouldn't. If that's the case then a 43mm solvent weld pipe will probably be a better fit, then it's just back to a piece of pipe and straight coupler and the plug and put a little silicone on the pipe if it's loose just to provide a seal once it sets.

No harm on giving it a try on it's own 1st though.

The plug went onto the boss adapter with a nice tight fit. The leak is sorted :D:D

Thanks guys, the help was amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_20211224_175212664.jpg
    IMG_20211224_175212664.jpg
    485.5 KB · Views: 74
I spoke too soon

I just noticed that I have a small weeping drip now

It looks like it's coming in the area between the plug and the boss adapter

What is the best action to take now?

Silicone around the plug and push in again?

Yup .... did you squeaky clean and dry the seal and internal area of the boss??

Use a little silicone adhesive on the fitting, like Wet Grab/Strong Stuff or similar, not a normal sanitary silicone and give it a twist or 2 when fitting

The adhesive will grab in wet conditions and then set permanently like a firm rubber, a normal silicone won't seal if it's at all damp (like behind the seal).

Yup, CT1 will do the job fine, just a light coating on 1 will do, as you fit it, twisting as you go, it will coat the seal and boss and will push the excess adhesive out and up against 2. Just wipe round with a cloth to clean it up once it's all the way in, might want to use rubber gloves as it can be a mare to get off the skin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back