Soil Stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I built a loft extension on my property.
Since I started using the loft toilet (on second floor) a year ago I have experienced 3 toilet blockages with the 1st floor toilet (a close coupled toilet).
I suspect one of the tenants in the property maybe putting 'wet wipes' or sanitary products down the 1st floor toilet and causing the blockage, but I can't say for certain.
I use an auger on it and the problem goes away - until next time, I also wonder if 'soil' has become impacted onto the walls of the drain, the soil is all over the auger end - even after a good few plunges and screws - it looks like clay, is it possible for soil to stick to the sides of the stack entry and the junction pipes.
The Auger is going in about 2-3 feet, so I get the feeling something near the junction maybe causing an obstruction, but I can only guess.

I also want to make sure nothing in my stack layout is contributing, any comments appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6634.JPG
    IMG_6634.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6636.JPG
    IMG_6636.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_6638.JPG
    IMG_6638.JPG
    432.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_6639.JPG
    IMG_6639.JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 120
Sponsored Links
Its possible that the White pipe shown is the problem IF it been incorrectly fitted .i.e part blocking the main stack if to long and not fitted flush in the boss.

, I also wonder if 'soil' has become impacted onto the walls of the drain, the soil is all over the auger end - even after a good few plunges and screws - **it looks like clay,** .
Someone's got gall bladder trouble.

Does the 1st floor toilet level raise when the loft toilet is flushed or is the blockage local to the 1st floor toilet?

Sponsored Links
If the blockage is behind the first floor loo t get it off the wall and have a look at what's going on. I suspect a dodgy joint not providing the required sweep and bore, but there could always be a brick lodged in there for all we know!

Thanks all.
The white pipe inlet is above the problem, so I guess its not that, but point taken.
I did wonder if something was lodged inside the soil stack or around the 1st floor toilet joint - guess only way is to take a look, and the obvious is to take out the pan ....

Just bought a cheap USB water proof camera to take a look down the stack, - there could quite possibly be a half brick down there from the loft build !:

Looks like people are making there own drain camera's:

Android Micro USB Endoscope 5mm 6 LED Waterproof Borescope Inspection Camera
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172829947275

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back