Soil Strap Boss wont solvent weld!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently added a new Soil Strap Boss to my soil stack and am having a nightmare getting the darn solvent weld to bind! I've built lots of fittings over the weekend with the cement and its worked a dream, but for some reason it just wont work on the Boss. The surface gets a bit gooey but it doesn't really stick. I tried redoing it last night but the same problem it just wont stick.

Sponsored Links
Where did you get the Strap Boss from? (Manufacturer and part number?) Assuming it is the same stack as per your picture in the other thread, then I see no reason why it wont stick unless the strap boss is the wrong type of plastic!

I got it from the local plumbers merchant and had no trouble solvent welding the 40mm adapter into it. I'm going to pop in tomorrow morning and get some primer to see if that helps

Boss is here:

And yes it's the same pipe as the old photo

Thought I'd create a new thread as its technically a different problem!

Odd, there is no reason I can see why that shouldn't fuse. :confused: I would give the mating faces on the boss and pipe a going over with some sandpaper to roughen them up a bit before making another attempt. Not had this problem so unsure as to how well the plastic will fuse if there is already dried residue from the previous attempt. Gap filling cement will seal a slight weep, but the damn thing needs to be stuck firmly in the first place, especially on an internal stack!

Sponsored Links
Try cleaning it with solvent weld pipe cleaner (or steel wool as said) dirt will stop the glue working.

Really? It is pretty filthy! That might explain it as everything else I've welded has been brand new!

Sandpaper looks like its done the trick. I think there was a lump on the fitting that was stopping the two surfaces coming together cleanly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back