Solar combi problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to a job yesterday a combi to combi change. The combi was on a smart energy system which has now apparently gone bust. Boiler now works fine but the electrician has no clue how to wire up the solar in conjunction with the combi could really do with help either wiring diagrams or summit.

Sponsored Links
Need to know a bit more about the system as smart energy used several controls.
A few photo's would help.

I used to fit this with a valve, so the combi and the solar worked (and was wired) entirely independantly. So if the solar was working well, the valve would favour that.. etc.

every solar linked combi i have come across is linked via Hydronic mixing valves and therefore the operation of the Combi is not altered in any way, if the solar store is very hot, the mixing valve by-passes the combi therefore it dosn't fire when hot watrer is drawn, however if only warm or cold the water flows to the cold inlet of the combi causing it to fire up and heat the water. Most Solar manufacturers advise that the combi maker is consulted to find out if their boiler is suitable for such an installation ;)

Sponsored Links
Yup, what boilerman said. Definitely check that the boiler is suitable for a warm water feed like this, some of them don't like it.

Was it just a boiler swap?
Surely the boiler tails would just be tapped back into the existing connections?
Alpha do a solar smart system. Check their MI's for similarity and call the new boilers manufacturer for suitability.

Sorry no pics. There was a 5 core grey cable from the solar unit into the combi. There was a live neutral and earth and 2 switch lives possibly and to flow sensors to the flow and return. Solar still isn't wired in and cust isn't happy. I'm a bg engineer. Could really do with a wiring diagram or help please

Is there a motorised valve, resol va32? in the system between the cylinder and combi.
What make model of controller.
make model of boiler.
Without the above we cant help you.

boiler i put in is 28 i junior and the solar system is smart energy i dont no about that valve sorry. guy is going crazy cos system cost him a fortune yet at the mo we doont no how to wire it up

smart energy installed several different systems, used stecca and resol controllers. Without knowing what you have it's impossible to help.

Bounce it back to the BG/Surveyor who specced the job. Its his fault he didnt plan for the solar bit.

Is the worcester even compatible with preheated water?

Bounce it back to the BG/Surveyor who specced the job. Its his fault he didnt plan for the solar bit.

Is the worcester even compatible with preheated water?
BG asking for help on a DIY forum :LOL: Combustion Chamber surely - MOD Alert :!: "We know your home is your world" :LOL:

I am sure that we have the resources to help you but you should post it in the CC part of the site.

We need to know what the solar is meant to do!

Is there a solar/boiler heated cylinder and the combi only serving the kitchen tap?

Or is the solar to preheat the combi inlet ( if Worcester permit this ) with a TMV ?

Can a mod move this thread into the CC ?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back