Solar iboost wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to wire up my Solar iboost but i don't understand why my single top immersion has 2 cables and what to do with cables when it come to installation.
is this mine

Dual Element Immersion Heaters
The elements should be controlled through separate thermostats. In practice the thermostat for the top (short) element is usually set 5-10°C less than the thermostat for the long Off-Peak element.

The 3 core flexible cords should be heat-resistant and rated 85°C. TERMINAL 4 (boost live output) should be connected to the short element and TERMINAL 5 (Off- Peak live output) to the long element.

The Neutral connections should go to TERMINAL 3 and the Earth connection to the EARTH TERMINALS.
top of immersion.JPG
top of immersion wider shot.JPG
solar iboost wiring.JPG

Sponsored Links
What you have is really two heaters in one. The short element heats the water at the top of the cylinder only, the long element heats the whole cylinder. So you need the wiring diagram for the dual-heater installation, not the single.

if you look at your switch on the wall, you will find that the supply circuit goes into an on/off switch and there is also a sink/bath changeover switch, usually all in one double switch..

So you should connect your solar device to feed the incoming supply terminals going to the on/off switch, and use the "one heater" option in the device.

You will then have the opportunity to switch from sink to bath at whim.

I'd suggest leaving it on "bath" (the long element) to maximise the amount of free hot water you get.

You mustn't use both elements at the same time, and the two-way switch prevents that.

I suppose you could have a heated towel rail or something as your "second" heater

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't think that controller has a long/short element changeover switch. It looks like a rebadged Horstmann.

Would be interesting to see how the load-side cables are wired into it. I fear they might be in parallel.

Yes, probably. Those do die after a while.....

The connections in the timer box are:

Top immersion Live 4, Neutral 3
Bottom immersion: Live 5, Neutral 3

yes!

EDIT

Do take the top off the immersion and inspect the wiring inside.
Any charred/overheated connections will need attention.
Check all the connections are good and tight in there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back