Solar iboost wiring

I'm having a think about this.

I see the controller has provision for an off-peak supply to feed the long element, which is good. Presumably you have an economy 7 type of tariff, giving cheap night-time electricity, and no gas boiler.

So normally, you would want to heat the lower element every night, during the off-peak period.

But now you have solar panels, you would want to supply the long element whenever the iBoost is providing voltage, which will never be at night.

So you need the iBoost to be connected to the load terminals for the long element, bypassing the timer.

You will still need the timer for those 200 days a year when the sun doesn't shine and you want to use off-peak power.

If I was doing it, I'd want a 20A junction box, something liker the wiring centres used in central heating. It would not be tidy to do it inside the timer unit. And some warning labels to say the load side of the timer might be live even when the timer said "off," unless you incorporate changeover relays.

is there a neater way?

Sponsored Links
I don't have economy 7 any more as i work nights and charge my electric car in the day but i do have a gas boiler

Last edited:
Just wanted to say thank you to you all for your advice now all fitted and working

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back