Solar installation advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, bit complicated.

I am installing a 25 watt solar panel along with a 5 amp charge controller (PWM5) using 14 amp wire.

Of course I am aware of the basics. Solar panel connects to the charge controller which in turn connects to the battery.

The solar panel is for a sailing boat and will be connected while on the mooring but disconnected via a deck plug while out sailing. I have decided there is no suitable location on the boat to have a permanently installed panel.

Firstly I need to decide which side of the deck plug the charge controller should be. Close to the panel where it will be exposed to the elements or close to the batteries where it will be warm and snug in a locker.

Between the deck plug and the battery it is about 1 metre. The wire connected to the solar panel is 8 metres but this may be shortened depending on where the panel is located (yet to be determined).

Next I need to consider fusing the system. I understand ideally there should be 3 fuses. 1 close to the panel, 1 close to the charge controller between the panel and the controller and 1 between the controller and the battery. I guess 5 amp fuses would be OK?

Look forward to replies.

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back