Solar Panels

They can't take your FIT contract away. And they don't issue them any more. So I don't see where this forcing is coming from.

You keep the FIT generation payments. The deemed export is removed and replaced by export payments read by the smart meter. You don't get a choice, you are informed by post. Hence "forced".

Sponsored Links
That generation tariff is a good rate, congratulations. Keep it as it is

The export payment is low. You'd very likely be better off with a smart meter and an export tariff.
You could look at a few tariffs and your usage and do a little maths to be sure.
You'd need to consider how much you currently/would pay for each kWh, as well as how much you'd be paid for export.

I thought i read about the contract being limited to 20 years. Is that for me or the house? We moved in 4 yrs ago. No idea when the panels were fitted.
When people are referring to when to use appliances do you have batteries? I cant see me getting any discount on my electric bill since moving in as it went up. This is my meter
0FAB9106-D1C3-46B5-9799-DC8525F59D5C.jpeg

I do get an overview
1695806771824.png

But it does not help that much, one would think if the green line is higher than the orange line one would be using nothing, however it is down to:-
1) When the battery has enough so no import for low use.
2) If the spot use exceeds the combined solar and battery.
3) When the battery runs out.
So today dull, still importing at 10:30 am, but on brighter days by this time running completely on solar except for heavy loads like showers. But batteries are expensive, a second would mean importing less, but the question is would in pay for it's self considering a 6 year life on the battery?

One battery if the inverter is designed for them also gives one an UPS, my battery will discharge to 10% when connected to grid, 3% when not connected to grid, that's not enough to keep freezers and central heating running if we get a power cut at 9 pm, but may if power cut 6 am. As solar will recharge batteries during the day, and with no grid only the freezers as central heating will work, so unlike normally when around 9 to 10 pm we run out of battery (10%) it would likely go through the night.

So for one battery there is a big advantage, however the second battery does less, and if to have a battery means a new inverter then the price has gone up a lot more.

The SCARTA type display to show use, is a bit hit and miss, and powered from China so update every few minutes. So it can show your charging battery from the grid when that is not really happening, it's just the refresh time.

However heating domestic hot water with solar is a lot cheaper, I am still having problems, as the immersion cut out tripped, and the off set was not enough, so as yet not sure how much it helps? It would seem my immersion was designed for emergency use, so does not heat whole tank, just top 10" or so, if the immersion went lower down I would save more, but again the question is if worth it?

So I can press the display button and it shows one of three states,
1695808412312.png
and the rate can vary,
1695808462068.png
the thermostat has stopped it heating it any more, or
1695808514340.png
there is not enough solar to heat the water, then a second press
1695808582234.png
will show how much has been used today, yesterday, last 7 days or last 28 days.

There are other functions, but the problem is until you have an iboost you will not know if it will save you anything. It can work with two immersion heaters and allsorts of settings. But since my immersion is short, it is not saving that much, however it has resulted in my turning the central heating off for the DHW. So saving me oil. How much oil is hard to tell, boiler would run around 1 hour 20 minutes a week in four set times, and boiler was 20 kW, but no idea how much oil it used.

If you have the 50% deal then best is likely to keep it. But can't remember if it was guaranteed for 25 years come what may, or if the property changes hands if it is lost.

Today solar is very low around 350 watt, but some days 5 kW, so today the solar iboost and the battery are doing very little, my software shows the solar output 1695809635074.png but without that data can't see how you can work out what will help?

Sponsored Links
You keep the FIT generation payments. The deemed export is removed and replaced by export payments read by the smart meter. You don't get a choice, you are informed by post. Hence "forced".
Oh well, I guess some suppliers have considered this a worthwhile change. It will only be a benefit to me as I have exported rather a lot since getting the smart meter, and at 15p a unit I will be happier than at 3p a unit. (Assumes switching export to Octopus.)

Oh well, I guess some suppliers have considered this a worthwhile change. It will only be a benefit to me as I have exported rather a lot since getting the smart meter, and at 15p a unit I will be happier than at 3p a unit. (Assumes switching export to Octopus.)
If you export lots it is a better deal although the export rates from an energy company are not guaranteed. If you have a big AC coupled battery and solar diverter to the water tank it may not be such a good deal!

If you export lots it is a better deal
Well, I have vacuum tubes keeping the water tank hot. And in spite of trying to wait for the sun to run the dishwasher, washing machine and 3d printer in turn, we still seem to export a lot, so...

When people are referring to when to use appliances do you have batteries?

No, the opposite of that - if you don't have batteries, it's more important to time when you consume your electricity to avoid exporting, assuming it's more cost effecting to consume than export. Eg, run the dishwasher when the sun is shining.
If you do have batteries, it smooths it out so you don't need to pay attention so closely.

I cant see me getting any discount on my electric bill since moving in as it went up.
What would the bill have been without the solar installation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back