Solar PV/Battery storage during grid outage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering having a Solar PV system fitted with battery storage of 5.1 kWh. For me,the ability to run off grid during a power outage is essential. In simple terms, how can this be done safely in order to protect anyone who might be working on the DNO system? I already have a double pole isolator between the meter and the distribution board. Do I need anything else? Change over to off grid does not need to be automatic; indeed I would prefer it not to be.
This is not a DIY install; I just want to be sure that I specify it correctly to the installer.

Sponsored Links
There is some debate over bonding and earthing, with a TT system common out in the country side no real problem, but with a TN-C-S not so cut and dried. Any change over switch needs to be linked, as to how not sure on the rules, back in 1980 on a installation I worked on there was one key for two isolators so to swap over generators you had to turn off one, remove key, and put it in the other isolator and then turn it on, however that was with generators, with the battery backed system the inverter unit did all the work, had one in the Falklands around 1986 and it was all built into the UPS, as the user all we did was connect it up. It was about 5 kVA from memory.

You need to tell the installer what you've said here. They will need to provide an inverter that can operate in "island mode" as most will switch off if the power is interrupted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back