solar rails poor workmanship?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can any one give me a link to look at correct procedure to secure and slate back in solar panel rails which are on secured hooks to roof, on a double nailed slate roof please. watched a couple doing it and they ripped the slates out burst many and said they would fix them at end when foot traffic stopped going over, they also just sat slates back in resting on hooks and rammed the slates up with end of hammer shaft messing up the dressed edge. they didn't want to listen when said to replace slates and walk on first rails etc rather than roof and give slate dressed edge or nail slate. fear was panels going on with slates still broken. they also said cupa h3 were a crap slate and burst them with hammer to prove!!!! wearing wellies also rather than steel toe caps. couldnt find there horses though!!!! any thoughts be grateful. they expressed theyv'e fitted 40 odd before, which i imagine these companies don't have roofers just people that go on msc course to get approve?

Sponsored Links
its the code of practice of fixing the rails thats the problem as the roof will be fine as you cant see now the panels are on. any slater that says cupa h3 are rubbish are a worry though as am sure you will agree. theres no reason for them to use ripper to take nail of one side then turn slate to give access to least slate below thats where another problem lies. either they cant work a ripper or just been lazy. am just after re assurance am right in what im saying. cheers

"nail" missed the word nail there!! meant, no reason for them to use ripper to remove nail from one side of slate to then give access to nail one side of slate below.

Sponsored Links
thanks for reply, i meant the hook they sit the rail on which carries the panel.
they hooks are fine for double nailed roofs where its a b@@@@@@ but why go to the hassle ripping the nail out of slate above, turn it, then just sit the slate back in. to me this is lazy or lack of knowledge as a nail could easily been put in when above slate was turned. I'm sure you will agree its common practice. what I'm after is a link to the methods these lazy lot aren't following in fitting these hooks, rails and panels to a slate roof. cheers

what am saying is you dont even need to go to the hassle of using a ripper using slate hooks is much less disruptive also if they had the slate turned they should have nailed the slate

you would need to use the ripper to turn a slate on a double nailed roof, you would also need it to remove any damaged parts of slates left in position on a double nailed roof before you could yous your slate hooks securing a new slate in position. thanks for your replies anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back