Solid fuel thermal store - how to vary cylinder stat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tight on words so heading not very clear! I am fitting a solid fuel heating system and have a query I can't find an answer to.

The problem I see with the system is that if the radiator circuit comes on at say 60 degrees, then when I go to bed and close down the stove the cylinder will pump all the heat into the radiators until it is virtually all gone. Result = very cold mornings until I get up and refuel the stove.

The idea I have is that the cylinder thermostat, which controls the central heating pump, can have its' on/off temperature changed by a timer i.e. at around 11pm the temperate is increased to say 90 degrees, so it builds up some heat over night, and then drops back to 60 degrees at around 6am the following morning, so the 30 degree difference is used to take the chill of the house before I get up.

Any thoughts on this idea or better suggestions?

Someone has told me this sort of kit is available but very expensive (around £500). If this is the case then perhaps there is a simpler way of doing it. Maybe a 60 degree in pipe thermostat valve with a timed motorised valve to bypass the flow through a 90 degree thermostat valve over night. I guess this would need a flow sensor on the heating side to turn the pump on and off?

You may be able to tell I am not an expert and if this just isn't possible i will have to admit defeat and just suffer the cold mornings, but I can't help thinking there is a way around the problem.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Simon, can you please list all the major items you propose installing.

Sponsored Links
Do you propose 'banking up' the Hunter before you go to bed Simon.

I take it the Hunter has just got a standard draught type thermostat. You may need to just suck it & see what's the best fuel & how to bank it up at night - as there's limited control over the stove!

I take it the Hunter has just got a standard draught type thermostat. You may need to just suck it & see what's the best fuel & how to bank it up at night - as there's limited control over the stove!

Yes, the thermostat on the stove will shut down the air.

I am aware this is going to be a trial and error sort of system. We plan on burning mostly wood, but may well use coal to fill it up at night to 'stay in' and be able to stoke it up again the next day. However, as you say there will be some experimenting!

Do you have any thoughts on how to vary the radiator circuit temperature?

Yes, the thermostat on the stove will shut down the air.

I am aware this is going to be a trial and error sort of system. We plan on burning mostly wood, but may well use coal to fill it up at night to 'stay in' and be able to stoke it up again the next day. However, as you say there will be some experimenting!

Do you have any thoughts on how to vary the radiator circuit temperature?

What about using a set-back room thermostat?

Experiment with various fuels & stove settings when banking-up at night & you should hit the right combination.

Having the central heating pump come on when the cylinder hits a certain temperature is one of my fail safes, so I am not sure I would want a room thermostat turning the pump on and off, regardless of the cylinder temperature. A cylinder thermostat would work in exactly the same way anyway so the issue is how to make it work/what kit to buy?

Most of the radiators will be on TRVs so these will control the room temperatures. The bathroom, shower room and hall will not have TRVs fitted so these will always be somewhere for heat to be pumped.

Cheers.

Simon, you could always use another cylinder stat or relay to control the circulator for high temperature protection & comfort control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back