Solid Wall Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to insulate/line the room that will be my kitchen, now my quandry is how best to achieve lining the walls. We're a mid terrace Victorian property.

There are two internal walls and two external. The external wall on the neighbors side has some penetrating damp from their ground level being too high, only about two inches up the wall. There is literally nothing I can do about their ground level as they are a pair of NIMBYS and have been grumpy about any and all work we are doing. They won't lower their ground level or allow me to fit a French drain or anything similar.

The previous owner refused to sell the house to them. Say no more.

The wall is a stone and lime affair, and has had all render hacked off the inside.
The other external wall is solid brick/lime, with one of the standard bonds. Both have been Rendered with cement externally, so breathability is a bit of a moot point.

There was a ground level issue on the brick wall too, but I dug that out and re-laid it about four inches lower, to the height of the gullies. So no issues there at the moment.

The ceiling is down so joists are exposed. All joist ends and wall plate are in a serviceable condition, ie the screwdriver doesn't disappear up to the hilt, or even 3mm for that matter.

I'm just at a bit of a loss as to the best ceiling to floor junction detail to use and whether to leave an air gap etc. I don't want to cause issues.

I've got plenty of handy skills, but this is not my area of expertise, I am not a builder and there is far too much conflicting info floating around online about this subject.

Any any and all advice is welcome.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back