Solid wood flooring and unifelt underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am laying a solid wood floor 18mm depth with 83mm width and lengths of 800mm and 400mm. I am planning on floating the floor and glueing the tongues and groves as per the manufacturing instructions (B&Q). I have a couple of questions and would appreciate any advise you guys may have.

- I have read on woodyoulikes webpage that boards of less than 110mm width should not be floated and was wondering why this is as the manufacturing instructions for my flooring advise this method as an option.

- When laying the unifelt fibre board at a 45 degree angle, can these be stapled to the floor boards, should I join them with duct tape or do these need to be laid free of any fixings?

- The tongue and groove glue advises that handling strength is achieved in 15-20 mins, at what point and how often should I stop, clamp and wait for the glue to dry before starting again. How long do you recommend waiting before begining with further rows?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
the reason woodyoulike says that is to stop the joints splitting apart the small width boards are also very difficult to get straight i would advise either secret nailing or full adhesion to the floor depending on the subfloor. As for the underlay does not need to be cut at 45 deg just laid and duct taped together also that type of underlay is for floors that are not very level, but if you are going ahead with fitting it floating then lay 3 or 4 rows out get them straight with a string line or laser light glue them and leave for 15 mins then carry on clamping up every 3 or 4 rows leave a couple of mins then carry on but don't forget the expansion gaps

the reason woodyoulike says that is to stop the joints splitting apart the small width boards are also very difficult to get straight
Precisely, plus the short lengths of the floor you have will make the whole floor rather unstable - very many joins close together that all could work as 'hinges'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back