Floating an ELKA Solid wood floor...confused newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have done a search but am still confused by the conflicting information I have read so need some expert advise please.

I have bought some ELKA solid wood flooring which I planned to float using adhesive underlay on top of the existing downstairs floorboards, which are in very good shape.

However when reading the instructions ELKA recommend never to 'float a solid wood floor' despite the fact that they advertise and sell self adhesive underlay suitable for solid wood(see the elka 3in1 product here
http://www.elkaflooring.com/products-elka-extras-fix.php)

I have purchase the underlay that B&Q sell that is suitable for solid wood flooring so my question is will this be OK?

If so do i have to glue the tongue and grooves in addition to laying them on the adhesive underlay?

If this underlay is not suitable what method should I use? Secret nailing or the new secret screw method?

I have also heard that you should not lay the new floor in the same direction as the existing boards. Why is this?

Thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
as long as your flooring is less than 150mm wide you can lay direct (floating) on the underlay. DO NOT GLUE THE TONGUE AND GROOVES! Just use the underlay to hold the flooring together.

You run the flooring in oposite direction to floorboards for strength so it dont follow the cupping or floorboards etc. You can over board the floorboards with plywood 4-6mm to remove imperfections if you want to lay the same direction.

You can get away sometimes with laying the same direction and no floor prep if very flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back