Drilling holes through Solid wood floor & dpm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've brought a load of the Costco/Elka solid wood flooring to lay in my kitchen diner. (And thanks to the advice garnered from here, I know I can lay it as a floating floor and glue the Tongue and Groove :) )
I'm planning on putting down a combi DPM/Underlay over the existing concrete, but heres the catch - in roughly the middle of the floor I'll be bolting two metal stands through it to mount a radiator on. Each stand with have 3x 10-12mm holes drilled right through and about 40mm into the concrete for some no12 screws. (I'm sure this won't penetrate the building dampcourse, and in fact the existing plasterboard wall I knocked out was secured to the floor with steel nails driven about an 1.5" into the concrete and they show no signs of rust.)

But obviously this is going to compromise the integrity of the dpm I put down for the new oak floor - should I be worried?

Sponsored Links
the 'dpm' underlay you have used is a moister barrier. It is not designed to stop damp but to stop condensation, moister vapour ect. There will be no problem if you drill through it. But you will need to leave expansion around your fixing so that you dont trap the floor.

Cheers, after posting it occurred to me it might be a daft question, but it's nice to have my fears allayed.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem with the fixing, I'll have to drill a 10mm+ hole through the wood to get the masonry bit through to drill the floor, so there's going to be a small expansion gap around the shank of the screws anyway :)

Sponsored Links
it might be worth wiping some silicone round the screw b4 inserting them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back