Solid wood front door swollen & difficult to open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My solid wood front door has swollen to the point we can barely open or close it.
Always seems to happen this time of year and i'm assuming it's down to so much moisture in the air.
I want to try and avoid shaving it down as this would cause drafts but wanted to run it past you lot in case was another option first?

Thanks as usual

Sponsored Links
You're not alone there......plane the minimum off the door (you may need to unhang it for this) and treat the raw edges with paint / stain or whatever. Re fit the door, and investigate draught proofing strips to fit onto the frame.
From time to time you may need to move the locks back......sods well known law!
John :)

has it got unpainted/unvarnished edges? especially the bottom and top, which are most often neglected as difficult to get to, but need it most. Untreated will absorb the water, and rain may well be running down the door.

If you need to take it off, I would strongly recommend lift-off hinges which will make it a lot easier next time.

Sponsored Links
i first would look at whether you can sink the hinges in a tad more before taking the door off and planning it down.reason is you can add a bit of packing behind the hinges if and when it drys out,bit difficult to add timber to a door thats been reduced.

The major problem with hardwood doors is that manufacturers always recommend Sadolin for finishing. Unfortunately Sadolin is only an exterior stain not a water barrier. Finishing with a matt varnish helps. Another tip with softwood doors, after fitting and hanging, unhang and apply two coats of undercoat to top and bottom of the door before rehanging.

My solid wood front door has swollen to the point we can barely open or close it.
Always seems to happen this time of year and i'm assuming it's down to so much moisture in the air.
I want to try and avoid shaving it down as this would cause drafts but wanted to run it past you lot in case was another option first?

Thanks as usual

Ditto, caused by high moisture of Winter and will shrink with high dry heat of Summer, so planing is to be avoided.
Simple things like spraying both meeting edges with furniture polish, will help in the interim, but depending on the type of hinges the doors are hung on will depend on the best answer. So could you post a pic of these please...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back