Solid wood or engineered board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to lay an oak floor onto new chipboard in an extension to be used as a kitchen. I have been reccommended either solid oak or 'super six' board which has an exterior ply back with an 8mm oak layer on top. There is quite a big price difference, the engineered board is the more expensive but I feel it would be more stable.
I do not want to use any kind of laminate with mdf of chipboard core.
Does anyone have any opinion as to which would be the best choice?

Sponsored Links
Hi

In areas were there can be more moist (like Kitchens) we always recommend wood-engineered flooring. The super 6 (6mm top layer on 15 mm waterresistent plywood) is an excelent choice. We know it's more in price then solid, but you will have less problems in the (near) future.
Super 6 is also know as Duoplank.
Have a look at our profile for our website or look at our ad in 'Find a Supplier': Flooring supplies' in the Ashford Kent area (TN24)

just laid engineered solid oak in my conservatory and utility room. It looks the dogs danglies, went down like a dream, was easy to work with and it only cost me £20 m2

Thermo

Thermo, where did you get it at this price, woodyoulike, I cannot find your site.

Sponsored Links
Thermo: what is an engineered solid oak floor? Do you mean 'composed' solid i.e. two strip solid (like Junkers have) where two separate solid strip are glued together making one T&G board?

Petewood: please check my profile for our web address. If I put it down here, the moderator will remove it again.

Or, being sneaky:

not sneaky enough :) (nice try though)

Don't these moderators have anything better to do?

We don't make the forum rules !!!!

specially when you are one of the advertising companies on their site :evil:

To be honoust, this was a geneuin piece of advice, not just blatent advertsing in this forum.

And I can never find the profile of someone who isn't online at the moment, hasn't posted a new thread or isn't the last one in a thread to have palced a post: how to you then find a profile??

Anyroad: take my name, put hyphens between the words and take a good guess at the rest.

WoodYouLike said:
And I can never find the profile of someone who isn't online at the moment, hasn't posted a new thread or isn't the last one in a thread to have palced a post: how to you then find a profile??
See this
Just type the name you're looking for in the "Search for Author".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back