Solid Wooden Floor Renovated - light streaks in a dark floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I just had my wooden floor renovated and would like some advice on blending in a couple of very very light streaks in the wood.

3 different professionals could not identify the wood, suggestions were that it was Teak, Iroko, Walnut or maybe a combination of different woods together. However, when the floor was sanded and oiled (clear matt oil) we have found that the floor turned from a light oaky colour to a dark reddy colour (which is what we were expecting). However 5-6 of the boards have very striking streaks of blonde (pine colour) in them, with one board in particular almost entirely that colour.

Against the dark colour of the rest of the floor it looks very strange and I am wondering what everyone's advice is to darken the colour and blend it with the rest of the floor.

I am assuming I cannot stain it on top of the oil, but I have heard that you can blend new and old oil. Could I therefore sand the surface with 180 grit, stain the board and then reapply the oil?

Thanks all for your advice

Sponsored Links
The floor is also still sticky even though it is now 32 hrs since it has been left to dry in a semi (18 degree) warm room.

The bands look like sapwood (google image it).

Stain the sapwood then finish, sapwood is typically more absorbant than heartwood.

If you don't stain it, it will still slowly blend in (years).

Sponsored Links
jonwestuk, hi.

From the pictures it appears that the timber in the floor is a lot of different species of timber, chosen for effect, differing colour, all to provide a visual effect?

IMO the lighter streaks were originally there not as a defect, but as a part of the overall effect?

These types of multi-coloured floors can be seen in a lot of Commercial outlets, Bars, Etc.

I believe that this style of floor was a direct spin off from an Architectural Feature being looked for a few years ago?

Ken

thanks all. We are have just put a coloured wax oil down on the area to take the edge off of it and that seems to make it less jarring to the eye. The floor is also not sticky anymore - which is great.

@Ken - I think you are probably right in the floor being different species. I am not sure that the blonde streaks were intentionally placed as the houses around here were rather thrown together!

Thanks again

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back