Solution to my outdoor lighting problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outdoor light that is wired directly to a socket

Currently, I use a smart plug to turn the light on and off remotely

However, now I want the light to do the following

1. Light comes on and stays on constantly between 8pm-11pm
2. After 11pm, the light will only switch on when motion is detected
3. I need to be able to control the light remotely

What item(s) does one need? Just a PIR?

Sponsored Links
I know Energenie MiHome do a motion detector MIHO032 which is designed to work with the MiHome range, I would think most the other smart thing manufactures have some thing similar, I have not tried to use one, and the problem is for a one off need a hub etc. And many of the devices use IFTTT and I have not found it very user friendly.

I am about to remove my PIR controls, the place where I park car is too far from house for a PIR to see me without also seeing cars and wagons on the main road, and for security I would like to make it hard for any intruders to see where they are going, so just using my phone to switch on lights is good enough.

I think the whole idea has changed with bulbs using so little power costs more switching them on/off than simply leaving on.

I think the whole idea has changed with bulbs using so little power costs more switching them on/off than simply leaving on.
Indeed it has, going slightly OT it is now possibly cheaper to leave a LED on 24/7 than uer a PIR occupancy sensor.

mine is, over the probable life expectancy of a PIR or light-sensor lamp

Sponsored Links
I have a house about 750 yards away with a light on each gate post, they light up my room, oh I wish they went off, but would guess simply not worth switching. Which makes one ask why change discharge street lamps for LED and have then switch off at midnight and back on at 5 am?

I have a 12 watt bulkhead lamp which is bright enough however can't shine around corners so I do need some more lighting, but would think 6 watt is good enough to see to walk from road to house. Drive is a different matter, there is a larger distance, but don't want to read news paper just see anything left on the drive.

You probably need one of these. but don’t fit it like he did.

it’s an expensive solution though
And don’t do 2 pir

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back