Remote control outdoor lights - Questions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wanted to have some advice and help. Never heard of or seen remote control lighting but someone told me about this and I think it might be better than PIR outdoor lights, for me.

Building a new shed and want to have two lights each side of the shed to switch on at dusk.

With the PIR you have to enter the zone and then it would light up but with remote control you can switch it on before you enter the darkness to illuminate the entrance door of the shed. So my questions;

• Do you have to buy special remote control bulbs to use
  • or can you activate any outdoor lights by remote control switch
  • how reliable are these remotes or the bulbs and is there any particular brand/s that are trusted in the trade for reliability?
  • do they usually come with a set/package?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Do you already have cabling installed? If not, you may as well just get them wired to a switch inside the house.

You can then just turn the switch on before you go outside, job done.

If you want a bit of both with (in this case long range) PIR movement sensing and remote control operation, consider a Steinel SenseIQ PIR. These are very adjustable and come with a small remote control for manual override and for setting up some of the functions. They will work with most LED and filament lamps with no problems. Compact florescent lamps are often not recommended as they don't like being switched on and off a lot, but often last ok if the time settings are turned up.

Sponsored Links
Wanted to have some advice and help. Never heard of or seen remote control lighting but someone told me about this and I think it might be better than PIR outdoor lights, for me.
All my lights are controlled remotely - the switches are often several m from the lights. I expect yours are too.

• how reliable are these remotes
If you mean wireless then they are not as reliable as wired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back