Solvent Weld Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me whether Wickes 40mm and 32mm solvent weld pipe and fittings can be mixed with Floplast pipe and fittings purchased from B and Q. Basically, are both systems made of the same material and will the same cement weld them all together. To summarise, is it okay to mix and match connectors from both systems and bond them without any problem?

Sponsored Links
Yes. Can't think why there would be a problem. You can't mix and match push fit and solvent weld and the pipe sizes are slightly different to prevent people doing this, but i've never had a problem mixing different brands of solvent pipe and fittings.

Thanks for the info. I used Wickes solvent weld pipe a couple of years ago when I needed to add new waste pipes from my kitchen to an outside drain. I reckon that a solvent weld system looks more streamlined and neat compared to the more bulky compression fittings. I now need to add some new waste pipes from my bathroom, and as these are likely to be less accessible once completed (under floorboards etc) I thought solvent weld would probably be my best option, because with there being no rubber seals to degrade - as is the case with both compression and push fit, then surely there is less possibility for leaks in the future. So, off I went and bought some Floplast elbows and other bits and pieces from my local B and Q, whilst planning to also use some 40mm Wickes solvent weld pipe and elbows left over from the previous job. When I put the two types of pipe and fittings together, the Wickes parts are slightly different in colour (more cream coloured) with the B and Q Floplast fittings being a bright white. Arrh, I thought. Might this mean that these won't bond together using the solvent cement? Still, you say they should, so that sounds good to me. Very many thanks.

Sponsored Links
There is sometimes a slight discrepency in sizes when bought from different suppliers but they normally still work with a little more solvent. Some fit better than others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back