Some advice please . . . . . . (pics included)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We moved in to our new build property about 3.5 years ago and we've come to a time where we need to defrost our fridge freezer which was fitted in to the property by the builders when we moved in.

I'm looking for the plug socket so that I can turn off the fridge freezer only to find that it has been placed in a completely unaccessable place (see pics) directly behind the fitted unit.

Is this right? Are there any laws, rules and regulations that prevent this sort of lunacy?

3.5 years in to the property, do the builders have any responsibility for this? Should I raise it with them?

Plus I think we have exactly the same problem with the dishwasher.

Many thanks.

Picture 1 - front view of integrated fridge freezer
Picture 2 - view from the top looking down the back - you can just make out the plug on the right hand side.
Picture 3 - no access from underneath

View media item 26989 View media item 26990 View media item 26991

Sponsored Links
Usually in a new build you will have a bank of switches that turn power on/off to the fitted appliances. Do you have any switches above the worktops? As for where you will stand with the builder if not or if any regs have been broken (they probably have) I'm not too sure, someone else may be able to advise you on that one.

Had exactly the same problem in a friend’s house a few years ago, kitchen had been re-fitted and they had no way of turning the fridge off without pulling it out completely. Only thing I could do was fit a switched FCU into the kickboard, not ideal but only way we could avoid pulling the new kitchen apart to fit a worktop switch. Maybe this could be an option in your case?

Thanks. We have switches for the gas hob and oven only. Nothing for the fridge freezer or dishwasher.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. We are NHBC covered . . . though I'm not sure what good that does actually.

I am going to raise with the builders. I can already guess what their reply will be. . . . .

132.12 Accessibility of electrical equipment
Electrical equipment shall be arranged so as to afford as may be necessary:
(i) Sufficient space for the initial installation and later replacement of individual items of electrical equipment
(ii) accessibility for operation, inspection, testing, fault detection, maintenance and repair.
132.15.2 Every fixed electric motor shall be provided with an efficient means of switching off, readily accessible. easily operated and so placed as to prevent danger.
537.4.2.5 The means of operation shall be readily accessible at places where a danger might occur and, where appropriate, at any additional remote position from which that danger can be removed.

Above are the three regulations on assess the top one does not really affect you but the second two do.

"readily accessible" can't include behind a loaded fridge and for washing machine if you have ever seen one where the weights have fallen off are dangerous and you could not pull them out to switch off so unless the consumer unit is very close then they do need local isolators which are normally in the form of grid switches with names on them.

The requirement as you can see is not cut and dried and really one needs to make a risk assessment as to if required. And by plugging in an extension lead placing it on top of fridge/freezer then plugging the fridge/freezer into that it would provide a means of isolation so can't really see you being able to force builders return.

My parents are about to have a new kitchen fitted and because of the general state of house electrics a sub-main is going to be fitted which means all the kitchen supplies will be isolated if required from that mini-consumer unit. As a result there will be no requirement to fit any supplemental isolators. I expect they will be fitted but no requirement. With this in mind it is very hard to say an isolator must be fitted.

If you still need to defrost your freezer check whether it is supplied by it's own dedicated MCB in the consumer unit.

But in order to support the chaps above and a case against this unplanned work...

BS7671:2008 said:
Reg 513.1 Accessibility
........, every item of equipment shall be arranged to facilitate its operation, inspection and maintenance and access to each connection. Such facility shall not be significantly impaired by mounting equipment in an enclosure or a compartment.

The way I see it, fitted appliances need to have an accessible switch for maintenance purposes, free standing appliances on the other hand do not need to have this.

And then of course the requirement in the regulations for good workmanship, and I think you can be confident that most competent electricians would not regard what they did as that.

So basically they did not comply with the Wiring Regulations, so if they issued an EIC that's a forgery, and therefore the sale of the house constituted fraud, which is a serious criminal offence.

Also a criminal offence , but not as serious, is that as they will certainly have claimed compliance with BS 7671 as the way they complied with Part P of the Building Regulations they've contravened those too.

If you still need to defrost your freezer check whether it is supplied by it's own dedicated MCB in the consumer unit.

But in order to support the chaps above and a case against this unplanned work...

BS7671:2008 said:
Reg 513.1 Accessibility
........, every item of equipment shall be arranged to facilitate its operation, inspection and maintenance and access to each connection. Such facility shall not be significantly impaired by mounting equipment in an enclosure or a compartment.
:)

I am not an electrician by trade - I spent a span of 20 years undertaking major passenger lift refurbishment works prior to relocating to the North of England 10 years ago, but due to the nature and responsibility of lift installation I am now a NICEIC Qualified Supervisor and Part P Duty Holder.

After the Carlisle Floods of 2005 I observed many cowboy jobs, but for the sake of all parties concerned, I found that much got resolved through the choice of correct words...

Hypothetically speaking... On the basis the residents were elderly it could reasonably be anticipated that some sort of health equipment could be connected to the ring main at some point. Now if the equipment had to be isolated due to,say, a fridge having to be removed this could cause issues, hence it is good practice to install 13amp switch fused spurs for built-in appliances.

I have observed numerous kitchen appliances fitted in a manner such as your own and can only empathise with you.

At the end of the day the NHBC rely on electrical certification to keep their paperwork in place... The NHBC do have a 'Duty of Care' to ensure works are of an acceptable level.

Contractors... There are many excellent contractors employing sparkies who take pride in their work, but a few I choose not to mention

Let us know how you resolve this. I would be interested to know.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back