Some concerns with bricks....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
From what i have seen, it is largely a case of lazy tradesmen though not the end of the world.

The perp's look as though they have been laid quite tight, couple this with the fact that piecework brickies tend to overlook the more stringent methods of filling the perp's and you will end up with poorly filled perp's.

Not unusual but annoying.

The drill holes in the brick could be filled with mortar or brown silicone.

The exit hole left by the outside tab just needs tidying up - as above really. I personally don't like the method they have used to pipe the water to the tap but ho hum.

Thanks noseall but I am not familiar with some of the terminology you have used.

Could you please tell me what I need to do in lamen terms, for example am I to use mortar to fill in gaps appearing in bricks?

Sponsored Links
No. The gaps in the bricks (perpendicular joints or 'perp's') will look better pointed with a similar mortar to existing and struck with a jointer.

The reason i say use silicon for the other situations is for its ease of use and that the eye will be distracted from looking for a mortared joint because of the presence of the tap or by the fact that the holes are in the brick and not the mortar joint.

I sorted out the gaps next to the external tap as advised - thanks it looks good.

However I have looked into pointing and although I only have about 7 or 8 bits that need pointing I am not confident at all and would rather get a professional out to do it. Also I have a brick that has come out at my entrance (decorative only not affecting structure) and would like tradesman to do that as well.

Who is best to get out? A builder, a bricklayer? how much could I expect to pay?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back