Some help (possibly) installing a new socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok guys. Need some help. I am fairly competent (for a DIY'er anyway) at building and to a certain extent plumbing, but electrics are something that I've never really had cause to touch before. Question is as follows:

I want to install a new socket in the bedroom, as I want to wall hang my LCD tv and there is no socket near enough. I'd appreciate a simple how-to if anyone's got the time? Can post a drawing and some measurements if needed. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links
Further looking round has shown this:

RingCCT.jpg

Is this acceptable? (Thanks to RF Lighting for the pic)

A simple solution is to use an extension lead but if you want a fixed socket outlet then you need to buy some 2.5mm² twin and earth cable, a double socket, a 2-gang backbox and some green & yellow sleeving.

Find a nearby socket that isn't a spur (If there is only 1 cable at the socket then you either have a spur or the last socket on a radial, you'll need to trace the cable back to the socket that is feeding it to determine which it is. If the socket that feeds it has three wires then you have a spur and it's time to look for a different socket.)

When you have found a suitable socket you need to connect one end of the twin and earth to the correct terminals (match the colours and sleeve the earth conductor). If you have old wiring colours then you need to fix a 'two colours' label to the consumer unit. Run the cable to the location you want the new socket and fix the back box. (if you are chasing the cable in then ensure you are sticking to the safe zones). Connect the other end to the socket and the jobs a good'un. If you have a simple multimeter with continuity function then its a good idea to confirm ring continuity and also earth continuity between the new socket and the main earth terminal if possible.

Make sure you have:
sleeved the earth's
tightened up all the terminals correctly

make sure you haven't
trapped any of the conductors behind the mounting lugs when you screw on the front plate
run any concealed cables outside of safe zones
wired a spur from a spur

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back