Some questions about my phone/adsl setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved into a new build last year, when I moved in there was no BT/Openreach line, and there were 2 white telephone cables unconnected going to a socket in the lounge and one in the bedroom. I had a line installed and I got openreach to put the master socket (5C) close to the cables so I could wire up the extensions if needed. I have since changed to the faceplate to the filtered one.

I was looking at the socket in the lounge this weekend, and noticed it is a "master" socket (it has the capacitor etc on it) and the bedroom one is a "secondary" (no components)

So I now have the following questions:

1. Why is the socket in the lounge a master socket? Did the electrician assume BT were going to connect the incoming line via a junction box to the 2 cables (without installing a NTE 5c)
  2. If I wanted to connect the lounge socket, do I need to change it for a "secondary" type socket
  3. If I connect an extension to the NTE 5c master socket (voice terminals), could any interference on the extension wiring affect the broadband signal at the NTE socket? (Reason is I know the cable for the lounge socket runs alongside most of the mains wiring)
  4. Same as no 3 but for a broadband extension instead of voice, if I wire up a broadband extension to the user-side A/B could any interference (even if nothing was plugged in) cause interference at the NTE socket? I guess even without anything plugged into the extension (just the wiring connected) something could still induce a signal into the wiring

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back