Improving my ADSL speed/reliability with XTE-2005 faceplate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.
I have been having problems with unreliable ADSL broadband due to what I have finally narrowed down as a poor extension socket where I need to have my Router plugged in. If I plug my router into my master socket I get much improved speeds and reliability whereas if it's plugged into the extension I require it to be in then the speed is a fair bit lower and I get frequent disconnects.

I would like to buy an XTE-2005 faceplate to filter the ADSL it the master socket and feed the filtered ADSL to a new extension socket (to replace the dodgy one) in the lounge (where I need the router to be).

Fitting the XTE-2005 seems simple enough. Do I then just run the A & B connected cables to the extension ADSL socket?

I have no need to have telephone (voice) sockets anywhere other than at the master socket. What sort of socket would I need for the extension?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
I ran a cable from my XTE2005 faceplate A&B terminals to a standard bt extension socket and it works perfectly, I also mounted the ext socket so that the cable to the router plugs in with the plug vertical instead of the normal horizontal just to remind myself that it is for broadband only.

I would like to buy an XTE-2005 faceplate to filter the ADSL it the master socket and feed the filtered ADSL to a new extension socket (to replace the dodgy one) in the lounge (where I need the router to be).
You don't want the filtered signal running to the jack where the modem will be - You want the unfiltered connection direct from the incoming line. It's telephones and other equipment which should go through the filter.

But you have the connections correct: The XTE-2005 has 2/3/4/5 terminals which are the filtered line to connected to any extension voice jacks, and A/B which are the unfiltered line. So yes, if you don't need voice jacks anywhere else, just fit the XTE-2005 filter, then use a single-pair in CW1308 or equivalent extension cable to run directly from the A & B terminals to wherever you want the jack for your DSL modem.

You don't want the filtered signal running to the jack where the modem will be - You want the unfiltered connection direct from the incoming line. It's telephones and other equipment which should go through the filter.

But you have the connections correct: The XTE-2005 has 2/3/4/5 terminals which are the filtered line to connected to any extension voice jacks, and A/B which are the unfiltered line. So yes, if you don't need voice jacks anywhere else, just fit the XTE-2005 filter, then use a single-pair in CW1308 or equivalent extension cable to run directly from the A & B terminals to wherever you want the jack for your DSL modem.

Thanks for that. I wondered about the filtering bit. What sort of faceplate for my router to connect to do I need? All the faceplates I've seen that have a socket for the RJ11 cable have been filtered sockets?.

Sponsored Links
You can get modular jacks suitable for wiring to RJ11 configuration on a U.K. size plate to fit a standard box, e.g.:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270759874713[/QUOTE]
Brilliant! Thanks!
One final question. I've just ordered that very faceplate you linked to from Ebay.I've been looking up the modular jacks to fit it but there are so many and I am worried I'll buy one that won't fit. Is there a particular type I should be looking for?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You can get modular jacks suitable for wiring to RJ11 configuration on a U.K. size plate to fit a standard box, e.g.:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270759874713[/QUOTE]
Brilliant! Thanks!
One final question. I've just ordered that very faceplate you linked to from Ebay.I've been looking up the modular jacks to fit it but there are so many and I am worried I'll buy one that won't fit. Is there a particular type I should be looking for?
OOPS! Ignore that last post. I see that the Ebay item you refered to has everything needed so is good to go. Thanks for your help!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
In case you weren't aware, an RJ11 plug fits nicely into an RJ45 socket.
Just terminate the unfiltered line on the middle two of the 8 connections on the RJ45.

In case you weren't aware, an RJ11 plug fits nicely into an RJ45 socket.
Just terminate the unfiltered line on the middle two of the 8 connections on the RJ45.
As usual, let's point out that it is not an RJ45 jack, despite popular misuse of the term.

But that aside, although the smaller plug will fit, be aware that it isn't always held as securely as you might think, and sideways movement can damage the contacts. Even without that, the sides of the smaller plug can have a damaging effect on the outer sets of contacts on the jack, rendering it unreliable for use with 8-way plugs. Of course, if you're never going to use it for anything but your DSL connection that won't be a problem, but just be aware of the issue.

Thanks for all your help guys so far.
I have run into a problem with getting the ADSL feed from the XTE-2005 faceplate to my existing extension.

I have wired up the XTE-2005 faceplate correctly (I think!) as I have phone working from the faceplate and ADSL.

Here's what I've done - is it right? :

6352361989_3eab2a4eb9_b.jpg

I want to fit this RJ11 single socket solely for my router to plug into:

6352362205_e2ffc3bca2_b.jpg

My existing extension which I want to change to the RJ11 socket was wired like this (there are 3 extensions in this house plus the master socket):

6352362381_a42992f761_b.jpg

I have removed all the wires from the old extension socket now.

As I do not need any extensions for voice other than at the master socket I thought that I would just have to connect the same two cables that are connected to the A & B terminals at the XTE - 2005. I have tried both sets as I don't know which is which from the old extension wiring as there are 2 sets of telephone cables (presumably one set goes off to another extension).

Please could somebody tell me whether I am doing it correctly (probably not!!).

I need confirmation that:

1. I have wired the XTE - 2005 up correctly

2. That I connect the ADSL feed up to the red and green terminals on the RJ11 socket (as stated earlier to me in this thread).

3. How do I know which of the sets of wires is the correct ones to connect to the RJ11 socket and which of the two cables goes to the red terminal and which to the green?

Thank you so much for your help with this it is greatly appreciated.

Let's see if I've got this straight: You want to be left with a voice jack only at the master location where you've fitted the XTE-2005, plus the remote RJ11 for your DSL modem in place of the extension jack in the above picture, right? And you want the other extensions in the house currently running from from that extension jack disconnected? If that's correct.......

First you need to find which of the two cables at the extension jack pictured runs back to the master. With the XTE-2005 plugged in and a working phone connected to the extension jack, just remove one blue/white pair at a time from the connections at that jack. When the phone plugged into it no longer works, you've found the right cable. With no other voice extensions involved, the rest is quite simple.

At the RJ11 take the cable which you've identified as running back to the master and connect:

Blue/white - Red
White/blue - Green

Then at the XTE-2005, connect:

Blue/white - B
White/blue - A

And that's it! You don't need connections on any other wires at all.

But as you have 3-pair cables, you could quite easily leave the other jacks as voice extensions working in the rest of the house as well if you wanted to.

Let's see if I've got this straight: You want to be left with a voice jack only at the master location where you've fitted the XTE-2005, plus the remote RJ11 for your DSL modem in place of the extension jack in the above picture, right? And you want the other extensions in the house currently running from from that extension jack disconnected? If that's correct.......

First you need to find which of the two cables at the extension jack pictured runs back to the master. With the XTE-2005 plugged in and a working phone connected to the extension jack, just remove one blue/white pair at a time from the connections at that jack. When the phone plugged into it no longer works, you've found the right cable. With no other voice extensions involved, the rest is quite simple.

At the RJ11 take the cable which you've identified as running back to the master and connect:

Blue/white - Red
White/blue - Green

Then at the XTE-2005, connect:

Blue/white - B
White/blue - A

And that's it! You don't need connections on any other wires at all.

But as you have 3-pair cables, you could quite easily leave the other jacks as voice extensions working in the rest of the house as well if you wanted to.

Thank you so much Paul. That has worked a treat. I now have the phone plugged into the master socket and have ADSL only at my extension. All working as it should. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back