Telephone extensions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a telephone master socket in the hallway and want to plug in a telephone extension cable so that I can have a phone and a ADSL router in the living room. Will this work? Will i need a particular type of exenstion cable? I am just not sure if a ADSL router will work off an extension?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes it will work fine, and any phone extension cable will work.

just remember to plug the broad band filter in AFTER the extension

The normal BT installation has the filter built into the faceplate on the NTE5 master, so that the ADSL signal won't be available on any extensions either plugged into the master phone socket or hardwired from it.

jtownson - does your master socket look a bit like this:

adsl-nteface-front-small.gif

and did you have any luck with the extension cable?

Sponsored Links
The normal BT installation has the filter built into the faceplate on the NTE5 master, so that the ADSL signal won't be available on any extensions either plugged into the master phone socket or hardwired from it.

jtownson - does your master socket look a bit like this:

adsl-nteface-front-small.gif

and did you have any luck with the extension cable?

Ther are two versions of that faceplate available-one is a 6 way which allows an ADSL extension :-

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/BTNTE5ADSLfaceplate6way.html

Just noticed the date on the OP so would assume this is long done!!

Ther are two versions of that faceplate available-one is a 6 way which allows an ADSL extension
Yo - I knew that that sort was available, but I hadn't realised that BT ever fitted them.

Just noticed the date on the OP so would assume this is long done!!
Yeah - I was a bit doubtful about posting, but it was only 6 months - thought I might get a reply....

IIRC BT do NOT carry them but they are made by the same people. Also, most of the faceplates out there have been customer fitted not BT (bit of a rarity a FULL BT ADSL install, or so it seems).

Oh well - I've got a rarity then - a genuine BT ADSL install, with the 3-terminal filtered faceplate, but now made even rarer by that faceplate being on a non-BT NTE5, as the old one was horrible and yellowed, so when I moved it I bought a new one...

They'll lock you up & throw away the key for fitting you own NTE5. Not. :)

Ha - when I initially had the ADSL done, the BT guy turned up during, or shortly after, the fitting of new windows in the house. Because the drop cable from the pole had originally gone through the old wooden window frame I'd had to re-route it through the wall, extended with a length of 2-core flex and choc-blocks.

He didn't bat an eyelid....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back