BT Master Socket - can NTE5 extensions interfere with ADSL?

bernardgreen said:
Softus said:
TicklyT and bernardgreen (particularly), given that many modems can be encouraged to provide (on a software interface) some figures about line attenuation and noise, can any of this information be used to measure the relative effect of the changes you've been advocating?
The modem can only provide an indication of the signal level that it is receiving IF it has that capability. It cannot provide information about attenuation without knowing the signal level sent from the exchange.
I'm obviously asking the wrong question, or the right question but in the wrong way. The type of information I was alluding to is as follows:

attae4.gif

<snip>

By taking a single pair from his master socket to a second NTE5 by the computer and wiring all phones to that NTE 5 phone side the rate went up to around 3 Meg / second.
Does "NTE5" equate to a master socket? If not, then what does "NTE5" mean?

Sponsored Links
The master socket is the one where the incoming BT line is connected

NTE = Network Termination Equipment

Th first type was just a socket and all internal DIY wiring had to be plugged in to this socket. BT internal wiring was connected to the back of it.

NTE 5 is a two part master socket. The real master socket, the NTE is in the rear part fixed to the wall and is BT only. The front removal part plugs into this socket and provides a socket and terminals to connect internal DIY wiring to and cn be removed replaced or whatever by the customer.

This allows for the customer to do tidy DIY wiring while keeping the NTE socket as the separation between internal and external. Removing the front of an NTE 5 and plugging a telephone into the socke in the back section puts that phone directly to the BT line. If it works there the BT line is OK.

www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

ADSL-NTEFACE NEW DESIGN

Is a front plate that fits to an NTE 5 back section and has full filtering for separating phone and ADSL wiring

Well...what I can now say is this.

Went to the property in question and connected up the Sagem Speedfast modem, that has never really worked there, into the front socket of the NTE5. No surprise...no ADSL connection. Pulled the front-plate and connected it to the test socket...seemingly stable ADSL connection. Took off the NTE5 front-plate, disconnected the ringer wire from the extension connected to the back and popped it back onto the main unit - plugged the Sagem modem into the front-plate and...and...successful connection! In fact, I'm posting this now from my lap-top connected using it - been running for about 15 minutes without a drop in connection so, fingers crossed...

bernardgreen said:

I'm confused. Is an NTE5 just one example of NTE?

If so, where else in my house might I find other examples of NTE?

Th first type was just a socket and all internal DIY wiring had to be plugged in to this socket. BT internal wiring was connected to the back of it.
Presumably this type of NTE predates the NTE5. And when you say "plugged in", do you mean "connected"? :confused:

www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters.htm

ADSL-NTEFACE NEW DESIGN

Is a front plate that fits to an NTE 5 back section and has full filtering for separating phone and ADSL wiring
Full filtering? What is 'partial filtering'?

Sponsored Links
To begin with BT provided a socket only and all DIY wiring had to have a plug to plug into that socket. That was the first NTE and replaced the fixed no plug-able connection.

Then under pressure to allow DIY wiring to connect without the plug that was prone to damage and subsequent loss of all phone service the NTE 5 was introduced to make a more robust way of plugging DIY wiring into the master socket via punch down wires to a "plug" ( the front plate of the NTE5 )

Full filtering prevents ADSL signals getting onto the phone wiring and reduces the effect of speech on the ADSL circuit. Micro filters stop ADSL signals getting to telephones but cannot prevent or reduce speech reaching the ADSL circuit.

given that DSL already splits the bandwidth into many narrow bands i don't see how cutting out the audio from the signal is going to make much difference. It may even make things worse because no filter has a perfect response.

like those screened modem leads you can buy this "full filtering" imo has a strong snake oil feeling to it.

As further feedback to the above, I had a stable ASDL connection running from the front of the NTE5 socket for about an hour or so until I disconnected it, I then tried the same previously problematic Sagem modem on one of the extensions and it also connected first time and gave a stable connection (at least for the time I tried it).

Still to test the other extension, but it does seem that the disconnection of the ringer wire has had a profound impact on the ADSL stability.

Thanks everyone.

Always the first thing to try - no DSL connection appears to ever be the same or run to rule - some require it removing, others dont. Some have many extensions, some have just one.

Glad it's working - it's a top tip ;)

Now....you may be able to squeeze a little more speed by filtering the extension thats used only for voice at the split.

So, Bernard & TicklyT diagnosed the cause of the problem, great posts from both of them, I think we all owe them a vote of thanks for enlightening us.

Softus said:
bernardgreen said:

I'm confused. Is an NTE5 just one example of NTE?

If so, where else in my house might I find other examples of NTE?

For completeness, there are other forms of NTEs and NTUs (network terminating units), but they are less likely to be encountered in domestic situations. They are used to present telephony, ISDN and datacomms services to (business) customers on an appropriate connector for the type of service (eg. V28, V35, X21, G703, RJ45, optical fibre etc, etc.)

May be a bit late on this but I had a problem with broadband. I am on the limit of range from the exchange and had dropout problems, I changed the filter and OK for a few days. Tried another filter, OK for a time. Then discovered just unplugging the filter and reconnecting solved the problem temporarily. Solution - fitted new socket and had no problems since. When you are on the distance from exchange limit, the slightest resistance due to dirty contacts is ctitical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back