Replacing Master socket with XTE 2005

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

New to this sub forum but not the site.

Have purchased the above from ADSL nation to make broadband more reliable. The gist is that I can't move the router (which is upstairs) to the MS for a variety of reasons and this is my next best option. The idea is that I will extend the unfiltered ADSL signal to another filtered socket (XTF68) and plug the router into that.

I understand that I need to connect A&B in the XTE 2005 to 2 and 5 in the upstrairs filtered XTF68 socket. However:

In relation to my existing MS there were 4 wires connected to the terminals (Blue/Yellow 2, Yellow/Blue 3, Blue Yellow 4 and Yellow Blue 5). I have already disconnected the bell wire 3 to reduce sound and understand that 4 can come out as well (PBX?)

My question relates to 2 and 5. I know these are for "voice extensions" but we don't have any wired in extensions. We used to have one upstairs but I cut the cable in the bedroom ages ago and replaced it with a bog standard B&Q plug in type.

Does the plug in extension negate the need for wires 2 and 5 in the faceplate?
Do I need to worry about the old grey wiring which still runs from the MS up the outside wall and disappears into the bedroom window sill?

Sorry for being so long winded.

Thanks for your time.

cedrich[/list]

Sponsored Links
sounds ok, for future reference you don't need the filtered socket upstairs you could have just used a plain RJ11 socket.

if you don't have any fixed wired extensions that you want filtered then don't connect anything to 2 and 5 on the filter.

Use CW1308 or cat5 for the wiring to the new socket upstairs. Do not use the cheap non twisted telephone cable that is commonly sold by the likes of diy stores and screwfix.

Thanks

I'm using pro plus cable from ADSL nation. Have you used this before.

Quite expensive really.

Cedrich

Sponsored Links
Don't try and punch cat 5 cable into the krone connectors on telephone gear, it doesn't go in properly (although it looks like it has)

hmm from what I have read cat5 on it's own is ok it's when you try and punch down both a cat5 and a telephone core into the same krone terminal you get problems.

of course one problem with any kind of punch down terminal is they are very easilly damaged by incorrect insertion techniques.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back