Some Radiators are only warm, not hot, why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

What is happening?
Two of my radiators and a plinth radiator are all not working correctly. They get warm but not hot like the rest of my radiators. One of the radiators and plinth radiator are in the kitchen. The other radiator is in my living room but it is very close to the kitchen radiator. I'm not sure what type of sysyem i have. i presume it is a ring. The pipe that i presume is the input pipe is very hot but the radiator is just warm. This doesn't appear to be just a case of simply bleeding the radiator because there is air in the system because i tried this and took out about 4 litres of water (i refilled the system with my boiler). It's as if the hot water just does not want to go through the radiator.

My Boiler....
It is a 2 year old condensing combi boiler and it appears to be working fine and heats my other radiators and water fine.

Has ANYTHING else been done or changed recently?
Yes, i had my kitchen refitted and had a radiator removed (which i think had the same problem but i just thought it was because it was old). I had a plinth heater installed using the pipework from the old radiator but this didn't work very well (i presume because of this problem) and since then i have had a new radiator installed in my kitchen also. They both began working as you would expect and were very hot but after a few days they just went warm and so did my living room radiator which was fine until the kitchen one was installed. The guy who installed them got them working but he had to bleed them for a long time (over an hour, maybe longer i think, i'm not sure as i wasn't there).

When did the problem start?
Not 100% sure as i said above, i think it was happening with the radiator in my old kitchen but it did work OK after it was bled for a long time. I don't understand why i would need to do this again though and as it only fixed it for a few days i can't be bleeding them for ages every few days.

Anything else?
I am going to go back to the guy who installed it to see if he can sort it out but i wanted to ask on here to see if anyone had any ideas as i think he'll just bleed it all again and it'll work for a few days then be back to the same.

Thanks for any advice :)

Sponsored Links
Try closing valves on all radiators except problem ones, if the system is balanced take not of the number of turns it takes to close the valve.

Quite possibly the system needs flushing -use proprietary sludge removers and follow the instructions before refilling and adding inhibitor once you know it is working properly.

The system will also need balancing - see faqs for advice.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back